New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optilock screws
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have read lots of reports about the Sako optilock rings having soft screws that strip easily . Think the reports relate to stainless rings / screws . Anyone have experience with the blued optilocks ?
Looking for something classy and strong for my L461 . Suggestions welcome .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I used the Optilock screws with no problems. I would not want to take them in and out more than once, but for a permanently mounted scope, they will do just fine. I tried every thing on first, the used blue Loctite. Everything is holding fine.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushcook, try Talley's, clean setup and detachable rings are an option if that floats your boat. I have a bunch of them and they just flat work--I like the look of a vertically split ring, so their just great IMO.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don ,
Quite like the Talley idea but couldn't find a picture of their Sako mounts on the web . Do they look the same as their other vertically split rings ?
Have a few sets of Warne Maximas that look similar to Talleys . Unfortunately the recoil stop on their Sako mount looks a bit ordinary .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, the Talleys will only fit 1" tubes. They do not make Sako rings for 30 mm tubes, if I recall correctly.

Another option you have is CONETROL. They are expensive, but they are excellent rings and mounts.

www.conetrol.com

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all . I have ordered a Lynx 1 piece base and will decide whether I go 25mm or 30mm rings and what height later .

Wilbur Smith