New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Gauge Dimensions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone enlighten me with regards to: air gauge dimension's i.e. .308.????

Is this for real or is someone pulling my leg?

<JBelk>
posted
RonsGuns---

"Air Guage" is a way to measure the *difference* in a bore. It opererates by introducing compressed air into the space between the walls of the bore and a precision plug. As the plug moves through the bore the *difference* in air pressure is noted.

A drop in pressure means the clearance between the plug and the bore has increased. A rise means the clearance is less.

Air guages measure how *consistant* the diameter is. The actually measurement can be anything.

one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
Mr belk
a couple months back ,i was fortunate enough to tour douglass barrels in charleston W.V.
they gave a demostration of the air gauge system and it was impressive to someone like me, as i had never saw such a thing in use.i always wondered how it work before this.they were great people there and showed us through the whole operation.is was really something to see if you didn't have a clue (like me) how their barrels are made.
muskrat
live free or die!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk,

Thanks for the reply. I have learned something new today.

And I might add that you should seriously consider what alot of others have said and put all of your vast information into book form.

You sir, have such a wealth of knowledge that should be shared with all by way of a hardback!

To not do so is to deny many of something that can be found less and less these days.

Thanks again.

Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
muskrat
I am planning a trip to douglas next week. How long does the tour last and are they actually working on barrels or are they just showing how they are made?
Thanks in advance

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
orland
it took around an hour or so.we were there on a friday afternoon and they were doing some barrel work,but were also cleaning up.they took the time to show us how everything was done.most of the men that ran the different machine would come over and tell you how they worked and what was done on them.i thought it was very interesting and well worth the time it took to take the tour.also there is a decent gun shop close by.bob's pawnshop,but don't be put off by the pawnshop name.it might have started out that way,but is all guns,ammo and related items now.
this was back in early march and they had the first of the new winchester super short mag ammo.
this is way before i had saw it anywhere else.
muskrat
live free or die!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Airgauges can be and are used to measure to .0001" difference in diameter accurately. You will have two masters, one that is the minimum dimension, one that is the maximum dimension. There are two pressure regulators in the gauge to adjust line pressure, and to corrolate between the the masters. When done properly they are extreemly reliable, we've used them in the engine manufacturing industry for years.

Posts: 108 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks muskrat
I'll check out bob's while I am there reloading stuff is hard to get in this part of the country other than mail order.

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
orland
i sent you a P.M.
muskrat