New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 75 accuracy help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a mod 75 stainless with composite stock, 6 years old finally took to range with factory and handloads. It will put first 2 shots almost in same hole then starts scattering shots.
I torqued front screw to 60 inch pounds and rear to 30(that is what works on my other guns), barrel is free floated,, and it still scatters shots.

What should I try next.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
make your first two shots count!!

this is a problem shared by many of us. two in the hole, third an inch away. barrel heating..

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, barrel heating.
wait a little longer between shots.
You might want to try shooting the same target with the first shot for several days running to verify it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I even thought of getting a new stock from accuracy innovations, but I have never fired more then two shots at game before.
I just have this thing, I like to put bulets in close to the same hole

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd think the screw torque would need to be more uniform. Twice as much for the front screw as the back?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi:
I have a mod 75 stainless with composite stock, 6 years old finally took to range with factory and handloads. It will put first 2 shots almost in same hole then starts scattering shots.
I torqued front screw to 60 inch pounds and rear to 30(that is what works on my other guns), barrel is free floated,, and it still scatters shots.

What should I try next.

First thing I would do is make sure that the barrel isn't walking into the stock when it heats up by maybe providing the barrel a little more room to move. I would also change my "torque" settings to something a bit more even.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
quote:
First thing I would do is make sure that the barrel isn't walking into the stock when it heats up by maybe providing the barrel a little more room to move

That's exactly what happened on mine. When the barrel would heat up it would touch the stock. When I removed the stock, you could see the spots where the hot barrel had melted the stock.
My question is how of the stck can be ground away? Is it possible to grind too much?

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi:

What should I try next.

Pillar bedding and making sure the barrel doesn't touch the stock is what I would try first. Pillar bedding solves the torquing problem as you no longer are crushing wood. You can do the job yourself with a little help from Brownell's.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote