New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 52B
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody tried to build a custom rifle on a Winchester 52B? I bought a barreled action awhile ago thinking I would try, knowing I'd need new bottom metal. Swift sells a unit for 52C,D, etc. Don't know if it can be adapted to a B. Sent them the question. The factory trigger is pretty complex and wish I could buy a drop in Timney, if they made one. Any thoughts on a way forward guys? I'm sending the same question to a rimfire forum. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 52b trigger can be adjusted , not like a jewel but decent . If you want to sell your B trigger after you find a replacement, keep me in mind . A few custom triggers were available and show up once in awhile. Expect to pay $300 or more .
Hope that gun shoots before you start throwing money to it .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm in the middle of that particular project. Years ago one of AR's esteemed gun builders made a run of Oberndorf style bottom metal for the little CZs or possibly Mini MkX. I don't exactly recall who; maybe Gunmaker. Only 12 were made unless another run happened. As I recall his last post after the twelve was "never again". I can't recall but I bought one "just in case" . Fast forward to a 52B that was run over by a truck and the stock shattered. My licensed friend took that bottom and installed a small spring that pushes up on the magazine so no catch is needed. He reshaped the bolt handle and added a second action screw forward of the magazine to eliminate the barrel screw.

I built up the stock to accommodate the new bottom and had Lilja re-barrel it in the original contour.

Ramrod340 cut the stock for me and still has the pattern. I'll post pictures of all of this when I get it a little farther down the road.

Before I had a good plan I bought Blackburn's M52 bottom which is a machined piece which uses the original magazine but with a nice machined cap for the mag. It requires some gunsmithing and a LOT of stock mods because it sets the trigger back about 1/2 inch to make room for the mag release built into it. Therefore the grip has to moved as well. Basically a new stock from scratch. I was lucky with the bottom I used because the original trigger lined up perfectly as did the grip. The Blackburn kit comes with the replacement trigger blank which you have to fit.

Ramrod340 was able to splice a wedge into the butt stock to raise the comb nicely but I will still have to mount the scope high to clear the bolt handle.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Looking at the Swift site I see they sell the unit I have. If you decide to go that direction I can offer a substantially discounted unit Big Grin.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote