New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Basix VS Jewel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone had any experience with Rifle Basix triggers, Shillen, Timmeny, how do they compare.I have read that the new Jewels are not as good as the older one's since they started mass producing them. ????? Regards Steve

Posts: 76 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The quality of the Jewel is considerably above most all others. That is not to say you cannot get by with another trigger. I have a Shilen 2oz. in my Rem. .223 AI varmint rifle, and am basically happy with it, but I use a Jewel in my bench gun. I have also used a Basix in the past, I would recommend the Shilen over the Basix. If you have the cash... get the Jewel. ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a variety of custom triggers and here's what I've concluded.

(1) Jewel triggers are great on target rifles and varmint rifles that you shoot off a bench.

(2) The Basix triggers I've had were OK and I liked them better than the Timney but there are Timney triggers for more rifles than there are Basix.

(3) My current hunting rifles are either Rem 700s or use the Rem 700 triggers and I have had Neil Jones tune them for me. Cost is about $50 each and Neil can tune a trigger down to about a pound and the safety still works reliably, the pull-weight doesn't change, no creep and no over-travel. Neil does more than just adjust the trigger he does "tune" it. My 3 big-game rifles are all set at or near 2.75 lbs each.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
SDoggy,

I do quite a bit of trigger work on Remingtons and have used all those triggers you have mentioned on more than one occasion. I have even used some of these on my personal weapons at one time or another, and would do so again on future, personal projects. That is if I didn't wan't to take the time to rebuild and use the factory trigger which I will do on occasion as well.

If asked, I will usually recommend RifleBasix, Shilen and then Jewel. Jewel is a quality product but lot of money, and after having setup and installed many of these on tactical weapons for law enforcement and military use, I'm not 100 percent sold on them being any better than a properly set up Shilen or Basix trigger.

I will only use Timney triggers as replacements for the old military rifles or where another decent choice is not available. While I think that the Timney brand trigger is a good trigger, I don't believe that they are in the same class as those mentioned above. That doesn't mean that they can't be made to work great. I just don't believe for what you get, that they are worth the added time involved working them over.

If I were going to build me a Remington tomorrow, and didn't want to take the time to rebuild the factory Remington trigger, then I would more than likely go with the Basix or the Shilen, in either order.

Hope this helps,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a Rifle Basic for my M-700,the sear was warped,likely during heat treatment.It would not reset because the warped sear hung up on the side of the box.Sh** happens,the problem I had was the tough luck I got on the phone when I asked for help.Others have had much worse dealings with them.The design is NOT as reliable as the Remington one for debris in the box.( it may not reset,and slam fire if you cycling the bolt hard and fast)Remington uses a much tighter fit , radiused corners,and a heavier reset spring.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the Jewel trigger to be very temperalmental. If I did not keep it clean and oilded it just didn't work consistently, for a target rifle this is fine, but a hunting rifle which can easily be exposed to the elements and dirt. There are better choices such as the Basix and Shilen for a hunting rifle.

[ 07-24-2003, 04:49: Message edited by: DanD ]

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote