THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Bedding aluminium pillars with steel bedding compounds

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding aluminium pillars with steel bedding compounds
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Gentlemen,

Is there ever an issue bedding aluminium pillars with bedding compounds with steel? I was under the impression that there could be a chemical reaction between the two.

I am looking at using either the Devcon steel putty or the Devcon Titanium putty, since I discovered that both are readily available on the New Zealand market.

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I believe Devcon is the brand that also has a titanium putty.

Anyway, I have used all three, aluminum, steel, and titanium puttys in the past both for bedding without pillars, and for bedding pillars themselves. Never had any touble with any of them, nor could I really see any advantage to any particular one of them. Also have used various kinds of plain epoxys for both uses, as well as regular (pinkish, non-metallic) Bisonite. All have worked well for me.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Correct. Did you find the Titanium Devcon putty was lighter than the steel Devcon?

All of the Devcon putty's are available from a number of hardware stores around this country.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be perfectly honest, I don't remember if the titanium version was lighter than the "steel" putty. I only bought one tub of it, because I never could find any advantage to it and it was signficantly more expensive. I have not used it in about 6 to 8 years....

In target rifles I prefer to use aluminum putty, so as to save weight and still have something grindable. In hunting rifles, I preferred Bisonite...both harder and stronger than the Hinges of Hell, and light.

But, carefully done, pretty much everything worked well. There is one brand I didn't like...Pro-Bed, I think it is called. But everyone else here seems to love it, so I usually don't even mention that. It's a subject not really worth arguing over.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have bedded aluminium & brass tubes with Bisonite steel impregnated epoxy & there are no issues. Bisonit is available in NZ.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the bedding done with Devcon 10110(?) I believe the ident. no. is? It is a blackish paste and I have a number of rifles done with it, including one of my .375H&H and three of my .338WM rifles. It seems rocksolid and light and easy to work with.

I have used Bisonite, AccraGlas Gel, Marine-Tex grey, Micro-Bed and this Devcon and like it best of all. I have 20+ epoxy-bedded big game rifles in high end synthetic handles and several more being re-stocked and am very happy with Devcon or Marine Tex.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Naki,

Where did you get the Bisonite from? What was the cost and what quantity does it come in?

The Devcon Titanium is $125.00 for 1/2 kg. Acraglass Gel retails for $89.00, but I can't remember what quantity you get.

I want to bed my Kimber 7mm WSM over the next month or so, I'm keen to try the Devcon which I think I'll use when I come to do the bedding job on my 416 Remington Magnum.

Cheers,

Michael.

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have used all the above mention compounds and Devcon 10110 is KING.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Kiwiwildcat, see this video of using Bisonite - done by a local Kiwi by the way.
http://www.sealion.co.nz/video...w-to-pillar-bed.html

I got my Bisonite from Ski & Sports in New Plymouth 06-758 7144. Jeff Horne is the only one in NZ whom I know of who imports it. The 13.5 oz kit is $45 & should do 3 or 4 rifle actions easily. I understand that many target shootier in NZ buy it off him.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting video, but the product looks different than the Bisonite I used to employ. The stuff I used was about the colour of the piece of tape on the barrel being bedded in that video.

Not saying it IS different in composition, just that the colour is different.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
This is with atomised steel. They have differnt versions http://www.championshooters.com/bedding.htm

I found the bedding to very precise. Even the very small stamped letters and proof marks in the bottom of a Sako action were very sharp when the action was removed.