Find
Notify
Tools

Amazing!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Gentlemen,

We have ordered a set of digital and video adaptors for our bore scope, hoping to take photos of some of the barrels we have.

We have some old barrels that do not seem to have any more rifling in them. Others look like the surface of the moon with all its craters.

Walter, in his infinite wisdom, is thinking of taking a video of the bullet while it is moving inside the barrel!

I know this is impossible, at least with what we have, but, our genius is going to spend many sleepless nights finding why!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

As you know the moon is full of craters and yet it is one of the most beautiful heavenly objects to observe from over here.

As you know aswell, many women defenitely look more beautiful with their clothes on.

As you also know the bore of many a gunbarrel is toolmarked from the day it was produced, rusted, pitted by false cleaning methods or no cleaning at all, maybe even shot out but still delivers satisfying accuracy to its owner

My point is: If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Why would you take a chance of shattering the faith you have in a barrel by looking through its bore and deciding that there is no way this barrel can perform the way it does because of the ugly things that are revealed by the use of your borescope?

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walter, in his infinite wisdom, is thinking of taking a video of the bullet while it is moving inside the barrel!

90% mirror which will eat itself or be pushed free from the wave. BOOM

Rich

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reindeer:
Why would you take a chance of shattering the faith you have in a barrel by looking through its bore and deciding that there is no way this barrel can perform the way it does because of the ugly things that are revealed by the use of your borescope?

Well said, and oh so true. I have a Remington factory varmint weight 308W barrel that shot groups a lot smaller than it should have. One day I looked down it with a friends bore-scope and was floored. Scratches, gouges, rings, pits, you name it. It looked like the inside of a waterpipe. After that I never had confidence in the barrel and it now sits in my garage on the back of my workbench. Frowner

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have ordered a set of digital and video adaptors for our bore scope, hoping to take photos of some of the barrels we have.

Hey, that's great.

Perhaps you guys might take several photos of barrels (new) from several barrel makers so we can all see what differences exist between them. It would be good to loose some of the emotion and prejudice we all have about certain barrel makers.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Lots of work has been done by military-sponsored investigators videoing bullets moving down the bore, using an angled mirror in front of the muzzle as suggested above. It takes a new mirror for each shot. I've read that it can reveal some surprises, like the bullet starting moving out of the case, stopping on encountering the rifling, and starting again.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put Walter, his video camera and the rocket sled into the Fantastic Voyage shrinking machine, get 'em into the barrel...shouldn't be much of a problem.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It,s interesting that i have a 1894 win,cal 32 special that was made in 1897 with outward conditions as 95%-(75 orginal. The rifiling looks like it has been on the moon,but it will shoot a consistant 1 3/4-2" at 100yds,so that just blows the pitting and clean cut rifiling theory up in smoke to some extent i think. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the rocket sled

you're showing your age.

Smiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Saeed,

What brand of bore scope are you using? I am interested in geting one with still photograph/video capabilities. I could make a shooter's version of a horror movie.

Thank you,

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote