Notify
Tools

416 Rigby on M98
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey guys,

I've seen some posts on here and I believe it was done by some English Gun Makers.

Can someone explain how they made such a conversion work?

(I'm in the process of tracking down a guy here in NZ who has a Ruger RSM in 416 Rigby), or I might just buy a CZ

Cheers,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I've got a CZ in .416 Rigby and it will be a lot less inconvenient and far more cost effective to buy a CZ and adapt it to your needs than convert a Mauser '98.

You will get many opinions on the safety or otherwise of converting a Mauser '98. Done properly on a good donor action and they seem to last forever.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Harry Selby's .416 Rigby was done on a standard length 98. That doesn't mean it's advisable, especially today with the CZ 550 available.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on a poster named ColoradoMatt. He is building a close replica of Harry Selby's Rigby Mauser on a standard 98 action.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Harry Selby's .416 Rigby was done on a standard length 98. That doesn't mean it's advisable, especially today with the CZ 550 available.

Harry told me in a note last year that if he were building a 416 from scratch he would use a Brno 602. I think he would also use the CZ but he didn't mention it specifically.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
You need to remember WHY the Selby .416 was built on a 98 action.

It was the most readily available action that could be made to work at the time. Now with all the action choices there is no good reason to build one in a stock 98 other then nostalgia. CZ or a Brno 602 I've heard both mentioned more then once and for good reason. Then there's always the Dakota action thats if you don't like your money and just want to give it away

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote