New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunscrubber / Plastic / Remington 7600
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Remington 7600 has a plastic part inside the receiver that covers the bolt when the action is shut. Does anyone know if this plastic will be ruined by use of Gunscrubber?

I purchased a nice used 7600 but someone overloaded it with grease. The more you work the action, the more difficult it becomes. After operating about 6 cycles, it becomes extremely difficult to cycle. Give it time and the next 6 cycles will be easy again. (well, fairly easy though not what it should be)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't trust gunscrubber on plastics. It shatters some and others are ok....don't know how to tell which you have until it's too late. I'd use WD-40. That will clean and cut grease and grime and won't hurt the plastic. Once you have all the grease out you can then wipe dry and oil it with a proper gun oil--which WD-40 is not.

There are other cleaning agents out there like Break-Free that would likely work well also.

Good luck,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if it that greasy why dont you dis assemble it completely and clean and de grease it. that would separate the plastic cover away from the metal. the gunscrubber wouldn't have a chance to react with the wood or the stock finish either. they are not that complicated to take apart.

Posts: 979 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to everything I've read, you can't remove the bolt on a 7600 without removing the barrel. I'm not prepared to go that deep into disassembly. I really wish I could do a total disassemble.

I tried using CLP last night. It helped but not good enough. I will try the WD40. Don't know why I didn't think of that first. It would be much cheaper than CLP.

Thanks. M

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeG50:
Does anyone know if this plastic will be ruined by use of Gunscrubber?

If it's made from the same plastic as the grip panels of a CZ82 pistol, it'll melt.

I'd use a super penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster to ungum that built up gunk.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See if you can find some of the Hornady spray gun cleaner. It leaves a dry lube behind.

I have never had it harm any plastics, but you might check with Hornady to be sure.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The full of grease part may be a clue that the mechanism was sticky to begin with and the owner kept pouring lube into it. I depend on the gunsmith's friend - mineral spirits(naptha works too and dries 10 times faster). Fill up a handheld pump insecticide sprayer with it and blast the parts. Blow out the excess with compressed air and dry it. Then lube with a dry Teflon spray. Another method is to mix transmission oil with the mineral spirits(1 tsp/qt) and clean with that. When the solvent dries it leaves a thin oil film behind. The trigger group is likely to be full of oil too so I would remove the two pins and clean it separately.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all the suggestions.

Onefunzr2 - sounds like you've had a very painful experience!

Before receiving the last replies, I used a combination of Break Free first, then followed up with WD40. It seems to have gotten the job done. The gun is practically new - used very little, but I think you are correct that the previous owner was trying to slick it up and overlubricated it. I've never seen anything quite like it. The gun would seize up after a few pumps.

If it reoccurs, I will definitely try to the mineral spirits or Hornady and blow it out. THanks againg everyone - for now, the problem seems solved.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know for sure about the removing barrel, can find out pretty easy with local 'smith who has worked on a fair amount of them, but there is a replacement steel bolt cover available and I believe Brownell's offers them????

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct. to remove the bolt you will have to remove the barrel. That requires a special wrench.

Just remove the trigger group, knock out two pins and it will lift out. That will give you access to everything to clean it well enough.

Bobster is right on track. Just clean with mineral spirits (paint thinner) and a brush. Then blow out with compressed air. Lube with Break Free or Remoil and you will be good to go.

If it is still stiff then you probably have problems with the bolt latch not working properly. If so it will allow the bolt to continue rotating on the back stroke and will chew up the action interior with the locking lugs.

I recomend that kind of problem be handled by a qualified gunsmith. It is a design flaw and Remington will not work on them anymore.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeG50:

Onefunzr2 - sounds like you've had a very painful experience!

Lets just say my fingerprints are embedded forevermore. Which prompted me to get real wood grips from Budapest.

I almost forgot about Gunscrubber removing the blackened scrimshaw from the faux ivory grips on my commemorative Browning Buckmark. I had to send them back to Utah to get that corrected.

I have since changed to using Shooters Choice polymer safe degreaser.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote