THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Where Are They Made? Who Makes What? Some Scuttlebutt.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Are They Made? Who Makes What? Some Scuttlebutt.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I met a S&W rep in a gun shop and asked him if S&W did the heat treating on the Montana 1999 actions. He did not know what the action was but he told me that S&W was very active in seeking outside work and they had 40% of what they wanted. That they already made the Remington M 700 barreled actions!, the Weatherby barreled actions, the Walther PP PPK guns and many others.

That S&W had spent ten million on tooling and facilities and had great over capacity. That the employment at Smith used to be 2500 and now was headed up but only at 700 people.

He mentioned that there is a great deal of consolidation going on in the gun industry with a few sources making almost everything. That Colt was looking to outsource everything but the military contract.

[ 02-27-2003, 05:29: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is nothing new.

In fact, where I work, there will be hardly any parts manufacturing left in five years or so. We will just assemble what others make to our specs.

Get used to it. It's the future of manufacturing.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This explains Remingtons quality of late.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trigger:
This explains Remingtons quality of late.

Two separate issues.

You can use high quality suppliers, and high quality processes in your in-house assembly and end up with a superior product.

Or you can use poor in house part manufacturing processes, coupled with indifferent attention to quality during in house assembly, and end up with shit.

The vertical integration manufacturing model (where one company makes virtually everything that goes in their product) is DEAD.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be very surprised if S&W makes the Rem 700 barreled actions!
To ksduckhunter I think Trigger was saying that Remingtons quality has slipped lately.
SS

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to an article in the April 03 issue of SOF magazine on the new S&W 1911, S&W makes the forgings for Kimber's 1911 style handguns.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote