Find
Notify
Tools

Buffer advice
 Login/Join

<powderfinger>
posted
I need some advice from you guys.
I am not a gunsmith but I do have some experience buffing firearms in preparation for blueing. The buffer I used was a Baldor 1hp., 1800 rpm unit. Not wanting to invest $300 plus for a buffer for use at home I saw one at our local cheap stuff cheap store (Harbor Freight). It was a 1 hp.,3600 rpm unit for $99. I'm not sure about using one with such high rpm. What do you guys use and what are your opinions on the two different rpms.
Thanks,
Larry

<JBelk>
posted
zman---

The buffer in by shop is for putting the final edge on chisels and occasionally taking the scratches out of my watch crystal. NEVER on guns.

Send me your email and I'll send directions for polishing guns without one.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
& I thought I was the only one who polished their watch crystal that way. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Whatever Mr. Belk says about gunsmithing, I listen.

However, if you are looking for a buffer for other things too, my suggestion would be to get a grinding mandrel and run it with a 3/4 hp electric motor. It will be cheaper and work far better than the $99 harbor freight model, and will probably work as good or better than the baldor. Depending on how you set them up you get more clearance on the inside of the wheel because it won't interfere with the motor there.

Lets see if this pic works:

[img] http://www.grainger.com/images/products/6l098.jpg [/img]

That's my suggestion regarding the buffer question. Also, with 1800 rpm I use 8" wheels, 3600 rmp I use 6" wheel or 8" if it is a machine with grinding wheels on it.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote