THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reasonable amount of time for this work?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Curious guys, what should I have expected when I dropped this off:

A barreled action, front site installed, needed final assembly (install rear site). Had a bishop stock, needed final inletting, bedding and checkering/finishing. Installation of timney trigger, sling swivels (band for the front one). And then bluing.

I dropped it off at my shop mid January, told them it was for my birthday 3rd week of Feb. They didn't say that was a problem. Now it was supposed to be done with bluing last week (they send them out for bluing). And just waiting for installation of swivel stud.

I am not irritated about how long it is taking, just about the fact that I wasn't told how long it would take up front. In the future how much time should I budget for this type of project?

What about time to rebarrel a rifle, including truing it up and all that good stuff, how much time should I expect on that type of thing?

Everybody cross your fingers and throw some powder over your shoulder for me, I'm hoping they actually call this week and say I can pick it up.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Hey,
I am not sure about the shop that you are referring to but, from the list of things that you are haveing done be happy if you see it before mid June, early July. YOu have alot of things going on to hope for a 2-3 month turn. But if your smith has nothing else on his plate then I maybe it wouldnt be a problem. Before I started checkering, I had waits in the 2-5 month range. Again It just depends on workload. My advice, tell him to take all the time he wants, as I think rushing any smith is a bad idea.
This is of course IMHO.

Good luck and make sure to post pics.

JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't rushed him. I give him space because I want it to come out right. The stock was done two months ago. There was a delay starting out because of the trigger not being in stock, I solved that by letting them measure it all out with the other 1917 I have.

They said it would take about 10 days turn around on the bluing. now just the sling swivel.

It really hasn't been very long, I think one thing I can do to help out next time is start getting the pieces together ahead of time. The part delays were probably a couple of months just by themselves.

Red

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
I guess the point I was making was that the amount of time that it has taken is more then reasonable. If however he made comitments to you about a certain time frame then that would be different.

I wouldnt hold your breath on the blueing. When you send out for it, you are at the mercy of the other shop. I know the shop I use wont fire up the tanks until they get 10+ guns in the que. Often they will call around when they get close, to get enough to make it worth it. If you miss a dip, then it can be 6+ weeks before they are ready to go again.

For rebarrel jobs you mentioned, it just depends on the shop. I have gotten actions back in week, but waited as long as 6. Just depends on schedule.

I would plan out at least 6-8 months for this type of thing in the future and be happy as hell if I got it back within 10.
Again, IMHO.
JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will plan on more next time. I don't know who they use for bluing, I am sure though that they had to spend some time on the polishing. it was in the white but not polished up enough to give a good finish. I go to this shop a lot, so they told me I could pay for it all when I picked it up, which is really cool. I did however put the money on my account there, cause I have a habit of buying things at whim.

There turn around on stock work is normally real fast. The person that does it is the father of one of the shop owners and they only give him work for certain people. I think it keeps him from getting swamped. I dropped of a laminate stock the other day for an ebony grip cap install, got it back within the week.

Red

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey Red,

Off topic but I sent you a PM a while back about something else. Look in "My Profile" to find it, mine may not be the only one there!

Mark

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, sorry, didn't know I had one and didn't know until now how to retrieve it. I replied to it. :-)

Red