New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 safari duplication
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I cannot find an winchester 70 safari express and need to duplicate one who or what should I look into???

Posts: 95 | Location: SOUTH DAKOTA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Reeds Sporting Goods up in either Walker Minnesota or Baxter Minnesota. They have a ton of Model 70s. They want big money for them, but they have a lot of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msorenso:
If I cannot find an winchester 70 safari express and need to duplicate one who or what should I look into???
Where have you looked so far? Have you checked the online gun sites like GunsAmerica and Gunbroker? What caliber are you looking for?

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe he is looking for a Safari stock to “duplicate“...not to buy a complete rifle.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a used model 70 in 7mm STW. Those are cheap. a 300 Weatherby model would work ok as well.

Get a D'Arcy Echols legend stock. He will inlet it for that action and his barrel profile (or Winchesters Safari profile). Then you won't need the forward barrel lug.

Alternatively you could look on ebay or here for a take off Safari Express stock. I picked one up very reasonably from Mark Stratton recently (it didn't hurt that I dought his book, and am having him do some metal work for me Big Grin).

Use a Krieger barrel. Those are cut rifled. That way, if you go with a wood stock, it will not induce any excess stress in the barrel by having it inlet to put in a barrel lug for use with a wood stock.

If you watch your pennies you can get the job done for about $1,600.00. You can save some money by using cheaper components.

I will spend about $1,800.00 on mine, and will have just what I want.

If you find a used model 70 in 300 RUM, it is an easy conversion to 404 Jeffreys.

You can sell the take off stock, barrel, sights and bottom metal.

You can use Williams one piece bottom metal. If you want to be able to load four down you can get Blackburn bottom metal.

While you are at it, get a Williams replacement extractor to replace the MIM (pot metal, basically) POS that came from the factory.

Mark Penrod or Jim Kobe will do excellent trigger jobs, and ensure the safety/sear/bolt handle and trigger are all correctly (and smoothly) timed.

You can specify NECG iron sights, and a Talley barrel band.

In the end, for about five hundred more than you would have to pay for a factory piece of junk (if you could get it), you will have exactly what you want.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! yes I am looking to dulicate the whole rilfe.. if I cannot find what I want then I will have to build my own. First would of course be the stock.. I want it to be exact.. Otherwise the rest we can work around to make it work... I will keep looking for awaile.. But just wanted to know what i was up against if I had to build one myself... Thanks

Posts: 95 | Location: SOUTH DAKOTA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote