New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berreta Shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Merry Christmas from the southern hemisphere gentlemen and hop[efuuly someone can help. I am doing a revamp of a Berreta Silver Pigeon shotgun and this includes a blue job.

How do I attack the pigeon? i.e. does it come off or do I have to coat with something so that it doesnt get the blue colour.

Any help is good help

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you proceeding with hot bluing salts or a rust blue method.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chop3r:
Merry Christmas from the southern hemisphere gentlemen and hop[efuuly someone can help. I am doing a revamp of a Berreta Silver Pigeon shotgun and this includes a blue job.

How do I attack the pigeon? i.e. does it come off or do I have to coat with something so that it doesnt get the blue colour.

Any help is good help

The receiver and pidgeon engraving should not be blued at all. The barrels should be rust blued and the receiver etched with boric acid soln 5% heated and then the high spots polished to give relief.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didnt make that post very clear. Yes the metal work is to be rust blued Dall85.

Hi Bobster, the receiver has already been polished and is looking good. The part where the "silver pigeon" is located is on the blued lever that unlocks the barrels.
I am a tad wary of damaging that pigeon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any one got any ideas??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, the pigeon is on the release lever, correct? If so, I would just avoid getting any rust blue on the pigeon or bypass redoing the lever. A picture would be helpful. I have a Beretta 682 but no pigeon.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the pigeon made of gold or brass plated with gold ? Think it'd soldered on ?

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If you've disassembled the receiver, simply polish the lever, then using any lacquer paint, carefully paint over the pigeon. Once the paint dries, rust-blue the lever. When the bluing is done, remove the paint using acetone or lacquer thinner.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for your help and I used exactly what John suggested but it was the wifes finger nail polish.
She doesnt know that I have borrowed it yet Big Grin