New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on Winchester 670
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an aquaintance trying to interest me into purchasing his Winchester 670a in 3006. I seem to recall that these were the "budget" version of the Post 64 Winchester M70s, basically their "ADL" version of the m70. Am I correct that, other than the bottom metal, the actions are the same? Obviously, the 670 uses a cheaper stock, and the metal finishing isn't as polished (non-jewelled bolt, for instance). But they are the same basic action, correct? Same trigger?

What is a good price for this gun? A quick search of AuctionArms, Gunbroker, and Gunsamerica turned up several for sale, with only two priced under $300, and one of those at $299. My friend says his is in "great shape", though I haven't seen it to confirm condition. Anybody have a bluebook handy?

Personally, I don't NEED another 3006 (have two already), but I was greedily thinking that I could send it off to Pacnor and make it into a 6.5/06 or maybe a 280 remington, if that'd fit.

Thanks

Cooter

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Am I correct that, other than the bottom metal, the actions are the same? Obviously, the 670 uses a cheaper stock, and the metal finishing isn't as polished (non-jewelled bolt, for instance). But they are the same basic action, correct? Same trigger?

I had one decades ago and I remember that the safety was a simple fore & aft instead of the 3-position.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cooter

I have a short action 670 Win. that I had a 22-243 Midd built on. I have been very happy with it. Doesn't have the flash and dash of the 70 but strong and very reliable. purchased it in the 70's from a smith that had gotten it from a car wreck. 60 bucks. Anyway I would not hesitate to build something on that action.
Dick