New
Find
Notify
Tools

what gun blue
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what cold gun blue works best. i know your not supose to use it on large areas,need to do magazine tube. witch of this cold blue thats out there would you guys use. come on you gunsmiths out there help me out. thanks.
festus

Posts: 85 | Location: West Fargo, ND, 58078 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's Oxpho-Blue

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried that one called wonder blue or, wonder finsh, I forget the exact name. Is it any good?

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use and sell the Blue Wonder Products. The bluing is a very good product.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My spiel:

I like to try a wide variety of cold blues [G96 gun blue cream, Oxpho blue cream, Oxpho blue cream, Dicropan], temperatures and processes with each piece of metal.

But there are a few guidelines:
1) The Dicropan blue is darker, but easily rubbed off.
2) The oxpho blue is not as dark, but is more durable and will get darker under oil.
3) Simple Green acts as a de greaser

This gives rise to a general stategery:
1) Simple Green before and between cold blues.
2) Rinse the Simple Green with hot tap water and towel off quickly with a clean towel and move on to applying the cold blue while the steel is still hot.
3) Dicropan before oxpho and rub the Dicropan off the micro ridges, but still in the valleys
4) finish with oxpho to color the micro ridges and cover with oil.
5) wait for the oxpho under oil to work over night

Also:
If possible, like with a barrel, let the lathe do the work.
I apply the cold blue with Scotch Brite Pads and give just as much resistance as I can without rubbing any more blue off.

Some pieces of steel are just not going to cold blue and look good. Give up.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote