New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improving Lock Time on Swede M96
 Login/Join

<Doc Garnett>
posted
Any suggestions for improving the lock time on a Swedish M96? For example, suppose the knurled, decocking(?)knob were cut off to reduce weight? And/Or, the firing pin shank filed flat? Stronger spring? Lap the bolt interior? Can the Tubb Speedlock System for the M98 be modified for a M96?
Appreciate any input.
Thanks.
-- Doc

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Wolf Spring kit in mine. Helped quite a bit. The original is 19#, the one that came with the kit is 22# and they also make a 26#. New Brownells catalog #56, page 141.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found the lock time of my M96s to be good enough for what I'm doing after just the basics: strip and clean the bolt, polish the cocking piece if needed and relube with FP-10 or other quality oil. Most of the poor lock time complaints I've heard could be traced right to old jelled up grease/cosmoline/crud in the bolt. BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have experience with the Dayton-Traister Speedlock kit for this rifle?

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a "Cock on opening" kit available for these rifles as well as an adjustable trigger, ask your gunsmith.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote