THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Pics-New stock for my Pierce receivered rifle- update

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pics-New stock for my Pierce receivered rifle- update
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here are some early pics of the stock that James Anderson is doing for my 6.5X47Lapua rifle. It is built on a CM Pierce singleshot receiver.

This was not an expensive piece of wood, but it is going to work out great.
For those that forgot what some of the metal work looked like.

Octagon Lilja barrel with a banded octagon frt. sight, bolt handle by Dan Armstrong, Shilen trigger, and other items. I am very anxious to see it come to completion.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Who manufactured the bases and what brand rings are they cut for?

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you could have fooled me, it looks like a fantastic figured piece of wood. awesome man.

that James Anderson guy is doing some really great stuff.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The metal work is mine. James did cut the octagon. It will have Talleys.
James has been a pleasure to work with. Roger Vardy has excellent wood. All of the stockmakers that I have visited with say his wood works great.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
The English Walnut from Roger Vardy in Australia was very user friendly. Especially when inletting the octagon barrel in the background fiddle back. I could scrape either way with clean cuts. The skeleton grip cap is located in a harder section of the stock and inlet very clean without any of the brittleness that a piece of ebony would have at about the same level of hardness. I'm sure it will take checkering as well as any I've worked.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Look forward to seeing the finished project...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was not an expensive piece of wood, but it is going to work out great.

Could have fooled me, Butch, thats going to look really nice when done!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got a phone call from Ken Hurst. He is ready for the metal work. He will do his engraving handy work on it. It will be very subtle, just like my pocketbook.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's looking very nice Butch.

I have a single shot Pierce action on the way as I type. Will be a 6 x 47Lapua long range plinker wearing a heavy 26" Kreiger bbl with brake & jewel trigger.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will be very happy with it and the caliber also.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cripes, I hope so :-)

I could've had two Cooper Phoenix rifles for what I'm going to be in this thing.

Just picked up a 2nd hand Sightron SIII 8 - 32 x 56 yesterday. No funds in the til for a Night Force.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice grain! You guys and your custom guns, I don't know if it's slobber or tears on the floor!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how would one go about finding this action builder's URL?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
This is John's website. http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/products.php
Below is a link to a gas powered engine John built that put out over 1400hp on pump gas. John was an engineer with Chev's product development team in the 70s and 80's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQwvSbQFA9U
Butch

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It's looking good Butch!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry,
I believe Kobe has my 9.3x62 about ready for engraving also. 2 rifles together at about the same time. I hope my ship comes in.
Butch