New
Find
Notify
Tools

laminate stock finishing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a tigerwood laminate stock I am about to finish and I am looking for some pointers. Would it be wise to wet sand this stock like you would a regular walnut stock -- or will the dark wood stain the light? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 37 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
you do not have to worry about bleeding at all.

There, hope that helps!

Now regarding finishing it depends on what you want, but something contrasty like tigerwood I would think would look fine wet sanded then finished with multiple coats of gloss finish, I did that to a laminate 10/22 stock and it looks nice, if you want I can post a pic of it later.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
<not saying nuttin.. i have a couple lams..>
tung oil is your best best... make sure all the wood grain is sanded to CLOSED... for example, take some water on a rag.. wipe the forearm and the wrist... if the wrist is darker, it's not CLOSED.

good luck
jeffe

Posts: 39577 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to paint my laminated stock a solid color using automotive paint. What preps must I take to do this?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote