THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    "Masking" an area to avoid bluing (hot blue)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Masking" an area to avoid bluing (hot blue)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to retain the 'rust blue' look that should be original to a gun, and avoid bluing the inside of the receiver such as bolt raceway, etc. I am not about to pay the cost of rust blueing to restore a $79 VZ-24 though.

What can I use to prevent these areas from being blued, that won't harm the activity of the bluing bath, and will come off easily afterward? Lacquer?

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Are you rust bluing? If so there is no "bath". Lacquer or paint would work as a resist agent. Now if you are hot bluing and using a bath I cant think of anything that would hold up and not possibly affect the solution, maybe gold plating might for your VZ-24 <G>. It sounds like you are doing the rust blue thing though, you might have to go over it each time you card.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
OOPs just read the title line all the way through! Don't think any non-metal coating will hold up to that boiling caustic....

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Polish it after.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote