New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welding question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
can I weld to a '93 Mauser buttplate- is it a casting? If so is it steel or iron?

This is for a quick fix to a length-of-pull problem that exists due to my ape arms.

thx.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
They are steel so you can weld it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
appreciatedWink

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
TC you got me courious. What are you doing?
Welding an extension on to the butt plate?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes-

I have a '95 Mauser in a bubba'd military stock; I want to eventually have a Mannlicher style on it. In the meantime, I'd like to shoot it, so I purchased an extra '95 buttplate to which I will weld on a simple extension that in turn will be welded to another steel buttplate, adding around three inches in depth.

Military stocks have short LOP's, so this will allow me to shoot the '95 without smacking myself across the nose with my right hand when I fire the rifle. Using the "distance to elbow" method of LOP calculation, I have 17 inches to cover.

I'll put a slip-on Kick-Eze pad over the whole mess.

Like I indicated, it's a quick fix, and not the permanent solution.

one of us
posted Hide Post
17" LOP, good lord man, can you tie your shoes without bending over??

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I knew how, well hell yes.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:

yuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo

That reminded me of a Charles Addams cartoon where there is a lady obviously moving in to a cramped city apartment, and there is this "welcome wagon" lady giving her a basket of flowers or something and the caption says "So what does your husband do?", and the suits she is hanging up all have really short pants, a huge chest, and really long arms on the jackets, and there is a bowl of bananas on the table.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
quote:

rotflmo

That reminded me of a Charles Addams cartoon where there is a lady obviously moving in to a cramped city apartment, and there is this "welcome wagon" lady giving her a basket of flowers or something and the caption says "So what does your husband do?", and the suits she is hanging up all have really short pants, a huge chest, and really long arms on the jackets, and there is a bowl of bananas on the table.

-that cartoon was pretty close to the truth as far as that crazy woman in Connecticut would be concerned, the one with the pet chimp that went nuts.

My favorite Charles Addams was the man in his bathtub with a rope around his neck standing on a block of ice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes-

I have a '95 Mauser in a bubba'd military stock; I want to eventually have a Mannlicher style on it. In the meantime, I'd like to shoot it, so I purchased an extra '95 buttplate to which I will weld on a simple extension that in turn will be welded to another steel buttplate, adding around three inches in depth.

I would love to see a picture when you get it done.

Military stocks have short LOP's, so this will allow me to shoot the '95 without smacking myself across the nose with my right hand when I fire the rifle. Using the "distance to elbow" method of LOP calculation, I have 17 inches to cover.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes-

Wow, my earlier attempt went awry, and no alcohol is involved. Anyway, I would love to see a picture of the unit once it is complete.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote