Find
Notify
Tools

Converting 96 Mauser to cock on opening
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Looking at an early Husky 640 rifle that the guy says is a Mauser 96 action not a 98. Is the 96 a good action?
Can I convert the bolt to cock on opening rather than cock on closing? If so where do I get the parts?
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
The 96 action is indeed a very nice action. It is basically a small ring intermediate as far as size goes. It does not have the gas handling capabilities of the 98 but niether do a lot of modern commercial actions.

The cock on opening conversion is available from Brownells. I had a gunsmith install mine for me. But I dont mind the cock on opening either.

In my opinion it says a lot that the Swedes offered commercail 96's for a lot of years. They built 270, 30/06, 9.3x57, etc... on them.

I have 2 commercial models in 8x57 and 9.3x57, a military issue, and one that is in the process of becoming a sweet full stock in 6.5x55. Plus you will find that the 96 rifles tend to be very accurate, regardless of caliber.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I actually like the cock-on-close. I tend to move the rifle more off target by opening the bolt than I do shoving it dtraight forward to close it.

I am in love with the 96s, now I just need to find a good one for a custom rifle.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the overlooked advantages to cock-on-closing type actions is the ease of extraction that you don’t get with a cock-on-opening style where the effort has to compress the mainspring as well as extract the empty case.

I have two 1917 Enfields and have always liked the cock-on-closing feature. You really notice the difference when shooting rapid fire.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The cock on closing feature is entertaining and I understand that some of you support its advantages, but all my other bolt guns are cock on opening the bolt and so if I pick this one up I would want to change it so it is not an odball in my group of rifles. Any other source for the parts besides Brownells?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the cock on closing leaves the '96 with too much lock time. Dayton Traister in Wa. sells these or did sell them. That's where I got mine. Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished doing one of these up for a client. We did a new bolt handle, Drill and tap for scope mounts, new barrel (6.5 x 55), two position safety mod and cock on open conversion. I was amazed at how smooth the thing worked when we got it done.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere (on another talk board and I couldn't find it again) that you could use a bolt out of an intermediate 98 like an 03 Turk and grind the third safety lug off and use it in a 96 Swede. Of course you would have to re-qualify the barrel and headspace.

Now don't hold me to this, because, I haven't tried it myself, but, it does sound feasable.

You would have cock on open and better gas handling in the event of a ruptured case.

The only thing is you wouldn't have the inner "C" ring.

Maybe someone will try it and let us know if it works.

Rojelio Confused

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim Kobe where did ya get the parts for that conversion on the customers rifle?
Thanks to everybody that responded.

One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rojelio:
I read somewhere (on another talk board and I couldn't find it again) that you could use a bolt out of an intermediate 98 like an 03 Turk and grind the third safety lug off and use it in a 96 Swede.

I remember something like that THIS may be the thread.

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the Dayton Traister cock-on-open kit that are available from Brownells installed on both military and commercial Swedish small ring Mauser. There is some mill work required, so it isn't something that you can undo to return the rifle to its original configuration. I like the conversion and, at least for me, it makes the rifles more user friendly. I hardly ever used the commercial 8x57 before the conversion, but find myself taking it to the range on a regular basis.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I get a chuckle out of the statement that the 96's have too much lock time. I suppose that is technically true but, it is not bourne out in practice as the swedes have a deserved reputation for being very accurate.

Let me say that the 98 is my favorite action but I have a few 94's & 96's and shooting them is no different that the 98's. Fire, open bolt, pull back, ram home, close. Repeat.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Ray, thats where I read it at.

I'd like to try it out, it sounds interesting.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Burgie
posted Hide Post
I had this done to mine, the receiver was already dnt. The work was done in 1992 and it works just fine.

swed bolt