New
Find
Notify
Tools

curved buttplate
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
have a browning curved plastic buttplate that I need to be straight or flat. Would putting it in boiling water then into a vice and let cool work?

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, that should do it. You can try just heating it in a microwave as well. Of course, this assumes it is plastic and not horn.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
micro wave didn't work crunbled up in vice.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a George Foreman grill for the next attempt?

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
outta buttplates resorted to rubber.
quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
Maybe a George Foreman grill for the next attempt?

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
A microwave would not work on plastic as there is not enough moisture to create the heat.

Boiling water or oven on 250 degrees F.
Then wax paper on a flat surface and a weight to hold it flat.

Or heat it up the same way then you could screw it down to a 2X4 and dunk in water

New butt plates are cheep from brownells

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
A microwave would not work on plastic as there is not enough moisture to create the heat

It's worked for me, but most people think I'm "different". Big Grin

John Farner

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can try just heating it in a microwave as well.

What an idiot; there's no way that would work. What a hack!

John Farner

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Are you talking just the butt plate in the Nuke or the butt plate in a cup of water in the nuke?

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have taken plastic buttplates, reproductions made for vintage shotguns and .22 rifles, put them in the microwave by themselves and heated them up in a minute or two, and gotten them hot enough to bend to a curved stock but.

Don't believe it then don't try it. After all, for all you know my full-time gunsmithing business is just an internet figment of imagination and I just sit around all day posting on sights like this stuff that I make up to entertain myself.

Boiling water works well and if you have to carry it from the kitchen to the shop the water will keep it hot longer.

John Farner

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ray:

That'll learn ya about taking internet advice.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ray:

Of course a microwave crumbled up in a vise wouldn't work, duh!

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my little yellow torch straightened one just fine for me the other day Wink

Posts: 322 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
John I don't know exactly what i did to tick you off. But I by no means mean to.

Now as per the Microwave trick. Let it be stated that my reasoning behind my statement is based on how a microwave works. But if there is some material in the plastic that allows it to absorb heat from the microwave. thats news to me and I'll stand like a dumbass and be corrected.

I'll give it a shot just for GP You never know I may learn something new.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well I stand by my first statement. Microwave won't work at least not very good.

On my particular Microwave there is not enough energy being absorbed by the plastic and the Microwave starts to arc so a Microwave is not the best choice.

If it worked for you John... Great My microwave hated it

www.KLStottlemyer.com