New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine Geometry
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like I need a new box. oh well its always something.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

sounds like I need a new box. oh well its always something.

Sometimes a guy just needs a new "box".

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Tom I know I may have warned them.

However both of us has had to redo too many jobs that someone tried to gunsmith.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1482 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone point me to the correct box I need? Also if the stock has already been built around the stock triggerguard will that be a problem?

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howard

If I understand your posts, you have an 1909 action with the 09 guard and the stock is finished. The guard and action will not feed correctly. Caliber 7mm Rem Mag ??.

This is the tough one.

It is possible to remachine the inside of the guard about .015" per side to help widen the box. Also will have to tweak the guard in the shoulder area to get the correct taper for the body of the case. Will have to reinlet that area of the stock slightly so the guard is not pinched in there. The rear of the guard and the front can be thinned slightly to gain inside length.

Then its time to remachine and hand fit the feed rails and ramp for the cartidge.

The problem is the stock is already done.

This is when the chicken feathers start flying and my hair gets grayer. But it is more than likely doable. It is one that has to be seen what has been done already and do some measureing.

Jim Wisner

Custom Metalsmith.

jwisner@quik.com

Posts: 1482 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim you nailed it. any suggestions on who to do the work?

<Guest>
posted
Howard

I certainly don't want to get in the middle of a deal between you and Mr. Wisner, but you might first, just for the heck of it, take a look to see if a Mark X Magnum box would fit into your inletting. It might be just a bit bigger than the 1909 box, which would be a good thing because you would have to remove wood instead of adding wood.

The reason I say that is because the Mark X Magnum box is very close to the 1909 Box. My brother has a customized Mark X in 7mm Rem Mag and it feeds and cycles perfectly!!! I do believe there are people who sell those parts although you might have to look around for them,and of course you could get a follower as well.

Again, don't misunderstand. I am not saying it will fit or it will work. All I am saying is that for the amount of work you will have to do on that 09 box, it might be worthwhile looking into a Mark X magnun box.

Blue

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard:

This problem necessitates working on at least three things. The follower needs to be slimmed down on the face, the magazine box should be lengthened and the ramp modified justly, and lasltly, the rails should allow the cartridge to feed. Incidentally, when working on the rails, the sequence should be the first of three out of the box to feed first, the second next and the last, last. The last not feeding is usually the result of the follower not being correct.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote