New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teflon finish
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How durable is the teflon finish? I like the idea but I don't want to spend $$ on something that's not durable.

[ 08-25-2002, 08:40: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
ive got a 10/22 i did the barrel on so far its held up and i just did a 10 inch 7/08 barrel for my encore shot 2 rounds through it today since i painted it i wana see how it holds for the wear that encores and conteders are known for from the frame. jason

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one rifle that is tefloned and so far (5 years) it is great. Just don't think that you never need to oil a gun than is tefloned. When the gun heats up, there are still microscopic pores that will open up and still take oil. Oil it VERY sparingly and mine seems it will last longer than I.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,
I built a stock for a customer and he had the action and barrel teflon coated. The first "go" was a disaster. It came off easily. The second was better but the sharp edges lose the finish with little resistance. After the first round, it was sent back to the material manufacturer and he did it himself. The wear has not been up to par as far as the owner is concerned. I do not know the brand.

-

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I asked Mark Penrod about teflon coating when I send my 375HH to him for work. His answer was: "look at your wife's skillets" and decide if you want a scratched gun to look like that. Convinced me that maybe rust bluing ain't so bad. Jeff [Razz]

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<oldgringo>
posted
I got a teflon finish on a subgun. It chips easily, but touches up easily, too. If I did one on a hunting rifle, I'd consider parking it then teflon over. OG