Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Pre-Fit Pad?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
I have a pre-64 Featherweight (Monte Carlo stock) with either an original or very vintage pad that has hardened like cement.

I would like my kids to enjoy shooting it more and want to replace the pad. I am guessing I should just take the stock off and send it to someone for a new pad, but thought I would check first to see if there is a pre-fit pad that a person with ten thumbs can install.

Is it still a sin to refinish an original stock? I am not concerned about value as this one will stay in the family (I hope!) after I am gone and is not in collector shape.

Thanks.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I don't believe the Pre-64 Featherweights were ever fitted with a recoil pad. If so, then the "collector" value has already been reduced.

However, don't sand the checkering down when you re-finish the stock or else have a stockmaker re-checker it. I bought a Featherweight Pre-64 in .30-06 and the former owner had abused the stock by nearly sanding the checkering completely off and "shad-bellying" the forearm. The blueing was in terrible shape. I sold the stock and the floor plate-trigger guard assembly on e-Bay (with pictures of the abuse) and nearly re-covered half the cost of the purchase price. The rifle now has Williams-Oberndorf bottom metal and a nice California/English walnut stock.

If you want to re-finish it, replace the recoil pad first (you need to have or have access to a good belt or disc sander). Be sure to sand the mating surface of the pad to remove the glaze and make it perfectly flat. My preference is to bond the pad with quick setting epoxy, using rubber bands made form car inner-tubes to hold it while setting up. Don't make the beginner's mistake by NOT following the toe line on the pad. Place a good layer of tape right at the end of the wood where the new pad will go and when you start "scuffing" the tape with the sander, STOP. Finish the rest by hand using a stiff sanding block. Using 225 grit paper and a sanding block, sand the old finish off, Raise the dents/dings with a damp, clean cloth pad and an iron. Finish sanding with 325/400 grit paper and look up the several replys on the forum discussing finishes. Duane Wiebe has a post detailing stock finishing as well as others.

Good luck and show us pictures when you're done.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't believe the Pre-64 Featherweights were ever fitted with a recoil pad. If so, then the "collector" value has already been reduced.

That was my understanding as well.

I appreciate the info on installing a pad, but I would farm out anything more complex than screwing one on as I am not known for my skill with tools.

The good news is shipping just the stock for re-working would be a lot easier than sending the rifle. Mostly a mental block of mine I imagine.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
u could probably find any number of good "wood butchers" in the Dallas area but, if not, get in touch with Tip Burns in Canyon Lake, TX.

http://www.burnsgunrepair.com/

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote