New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win. Trigger Pull???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The trigger pull on my Mod. 70 isn't up to my standards. Can someone at home change the trigger pull or does it need to be adjusted by a gunsmith?
I looked in the manual and it doesn't say how to do it, but if I could do it it would save me some money. Does any know how to change it??? [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can do it myself. Here is one site www.recguns.com/Sources/IIID2a23a.html

There is a better site and I am looking for it.

I like this one better www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AdjustingWinTrigger.htm

[ 03-24-2003, 07:02: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't do it yourself! Take it to a competent gunsmith and have them do it for you. It is well worth the money. I've seen too many do it yourself trigger jobs that were just plain unsafe. Ask around and find a good gunsmith, you will be glad you did.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyones opinion is as good as anothers but I submit if you can't follow these simple instructions then for sure you should not be loading a gun and pulling the trigger.

Besides there is no qualification for a "Gunsmith" as far as I know. I trust myself.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I'm no gunsmith, and I don't do much work on my guns other than replacing parts, but a MDL 70 trigger adjustment- no filing, grinding or polishing, just the nuts- is pretty easy.

Especially if you have a trigger pull gauge.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent mine to a gunsmith, and he screwed it up, because he apparently got fancy with it and did grind off metal. I am very mad at him, because the striker falls before you pull the trigger if the bolt is worked briskly. If you adjust the little nuts on the trigger stop screw like in Savage99's links, I think you'll be okay. I wish I'd followed advice and done this on my own.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want it done right take it to a competent gunsmith. If you wan't the best and safest from that trigger don't do it yourself.

Chuck

[ 03-24-2003, 21:01: Message edited by: Chuck Nelson ]

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
younghunter,
Those who suggest taking it too a good gunsmith are giving you good advice. Now, with that said, I think the M-70 trigger is one of the easiest triggers to adjust that I know of. The easiest way to do it is to remove the trigger, but that is not mandantory. You'll need two wrenches to use on the two locking nuts, and a small tip screwdriver. Plus a spring to replace the factory spring. remove the adjustment screw from the trigger, and then the spring. By having several springs you can have the pull weight you want. DO NOT go too light on the trigger pull! Insert the new spring and the adjustment screw. Screw the adjustment screw so it bottoms on the action. Do this while the bolt is open. Close the bolt and put a steady pull on the trigger. Slowly screw the adjustment out until the firing pin falls. Now screw the adjustment screw in one quater turn. Install the lock nuts and tighten. Work the bolt and check for pull and backlash. The only way to reduce pull weight is to change the spring for a lighter one. The adjustment screw will change length of trigger travel after the sear is released. Sometimes the adjustment screw is too long to remove by screwing it out of the trigger. If this is the case, the only way to replace the trigger spring is too remove the trigger from the rifle. This is more work, but makes it easier too fit the trigger spring. Every once in awhile the locking nuts are on the the spring side of the the adjustment screw. I prefer the nuts on the outside of the trigger. It may be necessary to get a longer spring than the factory spring. Please do not go too light on your trigger, it can be dangerous. Good luck.
PS If you're not sure you can do the job, please take the rifle to a gunsmith

[ 03-24-2003, 10:57: Message edited by: BigBob ]