Notify
Tools

416 rigby in a argentinean action?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Is it possible??
The other day at my smith house (9,3 nearly finished ), he told me that cutting 2 standard actions he can built one for a 416 rigby. I forget to ask him what work he must do in the bolt? Is this safe??
Thanks
Lorenzo

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This has been done in the past and with higher pressure cartridges. I guess it all depends on the guy doing the job. If he does know his metallurgy, and all the proper heatsinks, tig or plasma welding can be done. But, why would you risk it? With the bolt thrust, the 416 may exert enough force to stretch the action frame at the welds. I don't know how the new techniques are nowadays and maybe somebody who is currently doing metalsmithing can fill in the blanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As an aside, Rigby (the company) used to make their 416 on standard length 98 actions. I haven't had the chance to examine one to see how much carving it took, but it is do-able. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's very doable but I'd not attempt it when other actions (Dakota, Ruger and CZ) are available...others too I can only assume.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, the problem is that is near impossible to find other action down here!!

LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How can the "bolt thrust stretch the action at the welds"?. If so why don't they stretch at the
thumb cut?. Isn't the force located in the locking/ recoil lug area?.
Chance to learn somthing

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
on "an" argentine? Not worth the effort

on TWO of them, to make a long action... uh huh!!!

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
What does it means: "uh huh"
In spanish please
LG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
irv,

You have it right.

A Remington 700 has the bolt head as a separate piece. If the Mauser was a rear locking action then making one action from two actions might cause a lot of problems.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

Some time ago I had sent an article by Ray Ordorica in Gun Digest on converting a Mauser 98 to .416 Rigby to some members here. If you want it, I could scan and send it across to you. Just let me know.

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Mehul,
YES!!!!
It will be nice to receive that information.
Thank you very much.

How does your hunting goes? any new buff or scrub bull??
Post some pictures now and then, I enjoyed them very much!!

Thanks
LG

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Jeffe,
What does it means: "uh huh"
In spanish please
LG

in purposely bad spanish

uh huh = est todo beuno

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your 'smith is good enough , it should work to make one long action out of 2 98 s . You have to wonder if some of these people have ever even looked at an action with front locking lugs .

Harry Selby's .416 was made on a cut-out standard 98 and it held up long enough for him to totally shoot out the rifling . If you keep your loads at factory Rigby levels , the bolt thrust shouldn't get out of hand .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The smith is very competent and I trust him, let see.

Jeffe, not bad, but find a latin girl and practice more!!

LG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

I'll scan and e-mail the article to you first thing tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it. In return, you will have to promise to post pictures of your gun when it is completed.

We don't get to hunt the Indian Gaur because it is almost extinct after a huge number of herds were wiped out by foot and mouth disease some decades ago. Our hunting is confined to what is described here as "crop protection" which means boar, fox, rabbit and vermin. Most of us use double 12 bore shotguns with ball for the pigs and shot for every thing else.

Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo and Scott,

I just sent you the article. Please let me know if it reached you right.

Good hunting!