Find
Notify
Tools

3/4" counterbore needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK I know I have one but I have torn my shop and boxes apart. Mad So anyone have a link to where I can pick up a 3/4" counter bore. I need the type that will slip on and attach to my 5/16" LOOONNNGGG drill bit.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Enco.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had looked there and the smallest I saw with a 5/16 bore was a 1"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
northern precision

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This almost looks like what you're describing:

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/09937376

If you're trying to bore the through bolt holes for stocks, what I do is use a spade bit, you can make a pilot to guide it in your pre-drilled bolt hole instead of the point. If you drill the hole in the lathe, you can even use the spade bit without a pilot, although it can grab and chatter until you get it in a half inch or so. The lathe lets you feed the stock into the rotating bit slow enough you can usually control it from grabbing.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I must have went to 20 sites and didn't find it and you found three.

I'm sitting in CO my buddy with the lathe, torch, welder etc is in Houston. I bet the spade bit would work great if I had a way to install a pilot. Roll Eyes So yes I'm redoing my jig to give me more control to drill the through bolts. Had one I had built using the drill press but had trouble with keeping everything aligned when I had to drop it to extend plus removing shaving was a royal pain.

So looking at a set up with a guide for the bit.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two or three different bits for different sized c'bores. I had then to the tool and cutter grinder who ground a pilot on the ends same size as the through bolt hole. No chatter and flat bottom.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I keep 4140 cutoff barrel ends to make up a counter bore. Turn to size and then use a hacksaw to make the cutting edges. It takes about 20 minutes to make and a set screw will hold it on the drill shank. The drill is the pilot after the hole is drilled. The counter bore is driven with a 1/2 in. slow speed drill so you can remove the tool and blow the dust out. I used a lathe most times to get the bolt hole drilled between a center and the headstock chuck holding the drill. You can make a jig of a couple of guide hole pieces and bolt to a flat surface to guide the drill bit.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You guys keep missing the "NO LATHE" or metal working equipment. Big Grin Right now I'm a wood worker. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K