Find
Notify
Tools

More rifle engraving.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
This is another SCI project. The San Diego chapter will auction on Saturday, February 21st at the Convention Center in San Diego (3:00p to 11:00p).

Chic Worthing is building the stock and the overall project director outside of SD SCI. We will assemble the rifle this weekend to photograph the rifle all together. I will post more photos as I progress on the engraving. These photos are posted on the African forum as well.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Scrollcutter

Absolutely gorgeous work. It is interesting that at an angle the bear in the middle does not show up on the photo. Is that because when you took the photo the bear was not yet there, or is that because the cuts are very very shallow and just didn't reflect enough light. Would you call that style for the bear "bulino" or is that something else. Was the bear engraved with just a hand tool, or did you use a chasing hammer, or do you use a gravermeister for that delicate work?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
blue, it is because the bear was not done in that photo. Okay you can stop laughing. I saw it as it was being done and then the bear engraved in the photo so I may have been duped into the same conclusion.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
You know, I'm not a "custom" kind of fellow, more of a bailing twine / John Deer kind of farm boy.....

but that's better than looking at pictures of nekkid wimmen..... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Ok, I take back what I said in my other post. I'd put that on my gun! Very tasteful. Somehow the bear looks like it belongs on that floorplate. I still wouldn't like something like that on a receiver. Great Work!! Thanks for the pics, I always enjoy looking at your work.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What really impresses me about your work, Roger, is not so much the perfect execution (as appreciable and inspiring as it is indeed). What impresses me is that - and how - you are able to treat *space*. With a convincing, yet unexcited sense of distribution and measure.

Only the best engravers master that. The majority here in Germany just suffer from horror vacui and believe that space is an enemy that must be fought, rather than a valuable ally to support your work, an asset to be used.

With deep respect,

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Carcano

Thank you for noticing what many do not. Negative space is an integral part of the design work, for me. I treat it with the same importance as the scrollwork.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
That sure is purdy! I agree with Dutch tho, it's like looking at the Playmate of the month, I admire it but I wouldn't have any idea what to do if I had one.

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer

I'll wager that you would figure out what to do with either in pretty short order. LOL