New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post 64 barrel to pre 64 action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I found an decent post 64 M70 barrel, could I have it fitted to my pre 64 action? Would the threads, barrel tenon, etc, be the same. I realize that I'd have to have the extractor cut-out machined in. Any other considerations?

Thanks,

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
The pre-64 requires a conical breech, in addition to the extractor cut. I suspect it would be more trouble that it's worth. You can get a extremely good barrel from pac-nor for $165, so I wouldn't bother.

From what you've said, I presume your post-64 barrel is from a push feed...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And then, unless it didn't matter, you would need to have it indexed correctly and the headspace rechecked. It probably wouldn't fit your existing stock if it is the original pre-'64 stock.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
somewhere here, I have a MINT pre-64 barrel in 30-06. If you might be interested, e-mail me.
HEY!!!....I did a M.Sc. at NDSU in Fargo ....years ago....I miss ND...LOVED IT!!!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My good friend, Free-Miner, who posts here has shown pix of his .30-06 based on a P-64 with a "new Mod. 70" barrel attached. He also has a .375H&H on an "old" 70 H&H action that I sold him with a Brno 602 barrel fitted by Bill Leeper.

I know of several guys with Pre-64s re-barreled with post-64 barrels, it works and is inexpensive. It's an easy task for a decent smith.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Yes, but is it PF barrel or a classic post 64 barrel? I tkink he
has a PF barrel...

Which reminds me, I have two pre-64 barrel laying around here, one in 270 and one in 30-06. Both have good bores, the '06 is thin blue. $85 each...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The post-64 Classic action has the coned breech. I have 338WM barrel from a Classic action that I tried in my pre-64 30-06 action. It would need just a few thousandths taken off the shoulder to index. It looks like the Classic barrels can be fit to a pre-64 with a minimum of work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. My reasoning for asking, there was a Barrel up for auction on Ebay. Purportedly by Douglas, and set up for a push feed Winchester, chambered in 284 winchester. It sold for $25. I, of course, forgot about it and was out hunting pheasants instead. Ah....

Thanks for the offers of take off barrel, but I will pass. I'm kinda in a 6.5 and 7mm phase. I'm thinking of either a 6.5/06, set up as medium weight sporter, or a lightweight 7x57 with an aperture sight.

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote