New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 jap on Rem 700 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
does any gunsmith out there know if you could build a 6.5 jap on a 700 or some other bolt gun, what action would be the one to use i guess would be a better question. for those wonderin "why" well maybe another post.

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 399 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anukpuk:
does any gunsmith out there know if you could build a 6.5 jap on a 700 or some other bolt gun, what action would be the one to use i guess would be a better question. for those wonderin "why" well maybe another post.

I think so, if you chose one that feeds a .223-size case and opened the rails. I don't know how well that round would feed in one set up for the 6mm Rem., .257 Roberts, .260 Rem., etc. But you could try it in a 700 and see if the round will feed.

Despite the fact that the 6.5X50 Arisaka is a very efficient round, IF I were to undertake such a project, I would use the 6.5X54 Mannlicher/Schoenauer or the 6.5X54 Mauser, This one already has the correct head size for a standard bolt face.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
This one already has the correct head size for a standard bolt face.

As does the 6.5 Arisaka !! Roll Eyes The absense of a grove in front of the rim may dictate an extracter modification, MAYBE. boohoo but with a little ingenuity it should be no big chore. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I had some arisaka rounds that were reformed from 30-06 brass, so I imagine they would chamber and extract going the other direction no problem.

That was a long time ago so I may have been doing something wrong, but I was never strong enough to resize my own brass, FYI.

I don't remember what I used for lube however, it was most likely RCBS case lube, maybe Imperial might make a difference but I darn near tore my rockchucker off the bench trying to resize annealed 06 brass. As I mentioned though, I was probably 18 or 19 (and with my built-in self taught cluelessness) so the chance of operator error may have been significant.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The clearance designed in between a maximum cartridge and a minimum chamber should be reduced for any new 6.5 Arisaka. Otherwise, if you use existing brass, you get a pronounced bulge at the solid head just like a .303 British round fired in a Lee-Enfield.
In addition you should make a chamber case of the Arisaka chamber and decide if you really want to copy it. The Arisaka chamber has a long funnel lead in from the end of the case to the start of the rifling. There is no step at the end of the case in the Arisaka chamber where the case mouth would be as in a normal chamber.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
As does the 6.5 Arisaka !! The absense of a grove in front of the rim may dictate an extracter modification,

Right-but the case BODY is smaller around, and might pop out of a magazine made for the larger rounds -maybe! I don'5 know if it would or not. That's why I suggested trying some in the 700 to see how they fit & feed.

The diameter of the 6.5mm Arisaka case ahead of the rim is a nominal .455". It is much closer to the .35 Remington (.458") in this dmension than to the .30/'06 (.470"). The '06 case has been used a lot to form 7.7X58mm Japanese cases, but it would be a lot of work to squeeze the '06 case down to .455"..... a .015" reduction in diameter at the solid head portion.

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
[QUOTE]The '06 case has been used a lot to form 7.7X58mm Japanese cases, but it would be a lot of work to squeeze the '06 case down to .455"..... a .015" reduction in diameter at the solid head portion.

ConfusedTwo sources show the head dia. at .447". One, Cartridges of the World list the head dia. at .455". Does anyone have a case they can measure. No arguement here but I am curious. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Why" is a pretty big question when you can buy a 700 in 250 Savage or 260 Remington. If you want something fancy building a 6.5 BR or 6.5x47 Lapua seems more interesting than anything a fella's likely to do with the 6.5x50R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it was Howells who recommended the Jap 6.5 action for use with .30/30 and other rimmed cartridges including the HOT wildcats, it was not strength, but BECAUSE the 6.5 Jap is a semi rimmed cartridge and the engineers in Japan modified the Mauser magazine to handle the semi rim...

Going in reverse, I suppose you can do it, but you are bringing yourself into a situation where you want a magazine for rimless cartridges to feed o.k. with a rimmed / semi rimmed cartridge.

I have never done this myself, just talked and worked with far "handier" men that I.

You got the $$$ anything is possible. You promise "why" later... As said, the rimless from 6.5 TCU up make more "easy" sense. But they is your BUCKS!. luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rear of the chamber of my Arisaka barrel measures .460. I have made brass from 7.62 Nato Match brass but it is too much work for me.
I think the Norma brass that I had but sold measured .448. I have seen a Handloader article where .35 Rem. brass was used even though too short. The .250 Savage is smaller (.462) on the head than .308 brass and would make too short brass that fits better if you want to mess with forming the head or polishing out the chamber a little. Norma brass is a waste of money because it is so small.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Well, what would happen if one were to use 6.5 Carcano or 6.5X54 M/S cases? Are the rims too small for the extractor to grab? Of course, if available, 6.5X53R Dutch Mann. cases could be used, BUT the rims would have to be trimmed, the shoulder set back, and 4mm cut off the case neck..... But I doubt that this case is around in any numbers any more!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Carcano brass is too small in the head and rim but you could make it go bang. Same goes for the 6.5 MS. Old Remington .30-40 Krag brass measured .455 at the head and if the rim were turned to fit the bolt face would fit the best. I load for the 6.5X53R Dutch, though I have never handled an original case. I form the brass out of .303 British cases that measure .450 to .451 at the head and they just barely fit the rear of the Dutch chamber.
My Arisaka will accept .30-30 brass in the bolt face. It will not feed 32-40 or 25-35. I guess I need to keep trying. Maybe 30-30 or 375 Win.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I no longer have any 6.5 Carcano or 6.5 MS brass.
Best I remember they both measure about .450 same as current .303 Brit and .30-40 Krag brass.

Old Remington 30-40 Krag Brass would work since it measured .455 if don't mind all the cutting and turning.
My Arisaka will accept .30-30 brass in the bolt face but will not feed it or the .25-35 or .32-40.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Arisaka is, of course, a semi-rimmed case just like the 220 Swift or the 225 Winchester. It would be no problem to chamber a Remington 700 for it but one might have to alter the magazine box to form an angled stack as in the Ruger 77 in 220 Swift. So, it's workable but feeding might be a problem.
I could see somebody doing this if he wanted to demonstrate that an oddball old cartridge could shoot just as well as a 6.5x47 Lapua. I'm sure it could. In the end, it might be easier to simply chamber a 6.5x250 Savage instead. Similar capacity with readily available brass. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3780 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lots of good info and it wouldnt have to be a remington, i just want something odd but not too difficult , hornady is loading metric now about half the price of norma and 6.5 jap is in the lineup. i would even consider the carcano except the bore dia is .268 not 264

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 399 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anukpuk:
lots of good info and it wouldnt have to be a remington, i just want something odd but not too difficult , hornady is loading metric now about half the price of norma and 6.5 jap is in the lineup. i would even consider the carcano except the bore dia is .268 not 264

Take a look at the 6.5X54mm MAUSER case! I'm sure it will fit the action, and the head size is right too. In addition, it is DAMN RARE! I am not sure anyone ever chambered for it except Mauser-Werke Oberndorf for use in their Kurz sporting rifles. Of course, there is always that old standby, the 6.5X57mm Mauser, which is very popular in Germany, and which resembles the round made for the Arisakas here after WWII-the .257 Roberts necked up to fire .264" bulleets. I believe it was once called the ".256 Spence Special", or something like that! I once owned a 6.5X57mm Mauser, but at that time I could only get 93-grain factory loads for it. RWS claimed 3300 FPS for that load, but I don't think it was really that fast.