New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck front sight base screw...Help!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi, trying to remove the front sight base from my Rem. 798 (Interarms MkX). I tapped out the sight and under the sight is a screw, which, I assume, holds the front sight base to the barrel. I cannot get that thing to move and I don't want to mess up the screw any more.

Does anyone have any advice that does NOT involve heating the front sight base?

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have any advice that does NOT involve heating the front sight base?

If you don't want to keep the base, cut it off with a hacksaw parllel to the barrel. As long as you cut below the head of the screw, it will fall off and leave the screw shank sticking up and you should be able to grab it with vicegrips and unscrew it. Other than that, heat with a torch, it's probably Loctit'd to beat the band.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Don't be afraid to heat it gently. If it is lock tite holding it in it is most likely red which will let go at about 350 degrees.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about heating the screw with a soldering pen from Radio Shack? Will that work, or do I need a propane torch?

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soldering iron should work. Also I suggest clamping the barrel in the drill press vise and using a magtip screwdriver insert in the drill chuck. Apply plenty of downward force with the drill's quill while turning the screwdriver bit with a wrench.

Drill press is turned OFF in this case, Vern!

The pressure of the drill press quill will ensure that the bit doesn't back out of the screw's slot while the wrench allows lots of torque to be applied to the bit.

I've also found that if you'll place the properly-fitting bare screwdriver bit insert into the screw's slot and then hit a HEALTHY whack on the top of the bit with a big hammer, the shock will often loosen stuck threads.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a soldering iron, just heat up a nail (point ground off) or any piece of metal rod that will fit the screw head until it is red hot and then touch the rod to the screw head for a couple seconds. It should loosen the loctite and won't hurt the barrel. If that doesn't work it just may be rust? Apply a good penetrant and let it work a day or two and try again.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1619 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote