Find
Notify
Tools

Different type actions for 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just for fun:

I know that 30-06 rifles have been built on every action-type that has ever been created: Falling block and break open single shots, lever action (Winchester 95 and others), bolt action, pump (Remington 760), autoloader, SXS double, OU double, straight pull.

Is there any other caliber of which this is true? Maybe .308, .270, .280? I don't know of any lever action rifles in 7x57 -- am I wrong about that?

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 95 Winchester was available in 7x57 among other calibers.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:

The 95 Winchester was available in 7x57 among other calibers.

Are you sure? I've never heard this (which doesn't mean it isn't true).

Here's an excerpt from the American Rifleman article about the Winchester 95:

Initial offerings included a sporting rifle, carbine and military musket chambered for .30-40 Krag, .38-72 or .40-72. A 6 mm Lee Navy musket was cataloged, but apparently never produced. Later production guns could be had in .35 Win., .405 Win., .30-'03, .30-'06, .303 British and 7.62x54 mmR cals.

Shortly after World War I, the .30-'06 chambering was dropped from the line because of rumors that the action was not strong enough for this cartridge. Investigations suggested that wrecked rifles had failed because shooters erroneously used war souvenir 8x57 mm Mauser cartridges in their .30-'06 rifles.

The Winchester Model 1895 was used afield in both North America and Africa, and was especially liked by famous outdoorsmen like Zane Grey and President Theodore Roosevelt who called his .405 Win.-chambered Model 1895 his "Big Medicine" gun. Additionally, more than a quarter of a million Model 1895s chambered for the 7.62x 54 mmR round were made in 1915-16 for troops of the Imperial Russian government.

Production of the original Model 1895 ended in 1931, while sales continued until as late as 1938.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
300 savage comes to mind.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weagle:

300 savage comes to mind.

Has it been made in SxS and O/U doubles, and in straight-pull actions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say the kicker here is the straight pull action.

Nothing wrong with them, just never very well accepted. Probably because of the cost to produce one.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LE 270 You may be correct. My one Winchester reference (Williamson) agrees with you. My other material is on loan for the moment. It seemed right when I posted.
Take care!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
The browning BLR takes care of the lever action for a bunch of high intensity rounds, and that straight pull mauser 96 also is chambered in a lot of the standard rounds.

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote