New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt disassembly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at changing the springs in two of my rifles. How do you disassemble the bolt in a model 700 and a Mauser. Are there any special tools required?

Thanks

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
The M-98 is a piece of cake, no tools. The M-700 is a bear. You really should buy a fixture but It *can* be done without it. I do it on the lathe, but a drill press can be adapted.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
hayes4,

This article may be of some help.

http://www.huntingmag.com/dynamic.asp?intSectionID=325&intArticleID=1809

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Hayes 4---

Here's the directions... If you get stuck just ask. If you get stuck by a Remington firing pin I'm going to laugh at you. [Smile]

M98Bolt_disassembly-

If it has the military safety------

With the rifle cocked place the safety in the center position and then take the bolt out of the action.

Depress the shroud lock pin with your left thumb and unscrew the shroud from the bolt and lay the bolt body aside.

Place the tip of the firing pin in a safe depression on the bench and push/pull down (way down) on the shroud until the tip of the cocking piece clears the back of the shroud. Rotate the cocking piece 90 degrees and pull it off the back of the firing pin. Slowly release pressure on the shroud and pull the firing pin and spring off the front.

With two position safety or FN shroud-----

Hook the front of the cocking piece on a ledge or edge and pull the bolt body towards you. Slip a coin between the front of the cocking piece and the back of the shroud to hold the firing pin back.

The rest of the disassembly is the same as above. Depress the shroud lock pin....

Remington Bolt dissasembly-- all centerfires

The Remington 600/700 has a notch in the side of the cocking piece that a dime fits perfectly. As with the FN, hang the front of the cocking piece on something and pull the cocking piece out of the shroud until a dime can be put in the slot. Then simply unscrew the whole works out of the bolt……there isn’t a separate shroud lock like a Mauser…..

The firing pin and cocking piece is held together by a tight cross pin that usually resides under the shroud. The shroud has to be depressed against the firing pin spring tension and the exposed cross pin driven out so the firing pin and cocking piece can separate.......sometimes there’re tough to get apart. Be VERY careful. It's a friggin spear!

It takes several hands to do it without some way to hold the several parts together while working on it. There have been MANY Remington firing pins stuck very deep in important body parts of careless gunsmiths. Be careful.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hayes come over to Jennings & I'll show you. [Smile]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hayes: There's a Remington bolt tool for sale in Brownells's. I looked at the picture, and made my own.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You All

Bear Claw I am trying to put together some funds then I will be making the trip out west. right now I have to wait for the water to go down before I can go anywhere. The storm has things messed up down here right now.

Thanks again.

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote