THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to thin Acraglas release agent with?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a liquid release agent for my application, I have plenty of wax for normal use.

My Acraglas release agent ( the blue stuff) has congealed into a jelly, anyone know what I can use to thin it out again, Brownells didn't know.

thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure the directions say or used to say rubbing alcohol is the thinner. That is what I use when it gets a little too thick. It may or may not work on jelly thick stuff though.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnson's floor wax works fine. I wouldn't even bother with trying to thin the release agent product.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady One Shot case lube works great also.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McCray:
Hornady One Shot case lube works great also.

As does just about any rattle-can silicone spray...

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall alcohol also. I think it says it on the bottle? Maybe it was the paper directions. I also prefer floor wax.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of lots of field expedient release agents, including PAM cooking spray, but am too chicken to try any! I have a hard enough time getting the darn things apart when using the specified release agent.

I would like a better release agent because peeling that blue saran wrap out of the nooks and crannies in the stock gets very old, very quick!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
I am sure the directions say or used to say rubbing alcohol is the thinner. That is what I use when it gets a little too thick. It may or may not work on jelly thick stuff though.

I also believe alcohol would work. It seems to me that there is alcohol in it to begin with.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
On a related note, the Acraglass release agent seems to have changed in the last few years. It seems thin and watery now compared to the old stuff. Seems to take several coats to get a good solid coverage.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried denatured alcohol and it didn't dissolve the clumps, just loosened them up. Ended up using KIWI wax.

The new Acraglas release agent is listed as NON-FLAMMABLE, maybe that's why it's not as good as it used to be.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Minwax paste floor wax has worked great for me. Wrap it up in some cheese cloth and it makes it really easy to apply.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than likely Methyl isobutyl ketone . You could try acetone but why bother ?.

Use a quality paste wax apply three coats wiping or buffing off each coat after drying .

It insures even the smallest nook or cranny will release , I detest silicone especially around

wood or other porous substrates . archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Brownell's sells a spray can release agent. It's quick, covers everything and works great. All I use now, best I've found.

Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Acraglas agent is PVA which stands for polyvinyl alcohol. I don't know what type alcohol is in it though. It is water soluble after it dries.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PVA can also be Polyvinyl Acetate and is commonly used ;

As an emulsion in water, PVAc emulsions are the adhesives for porous materials, particularly for wood, paper, and cloth, and as a consolidant for porous building stone, in particular sandstone.[2] Uses:

* as wood glue PVAc is known as "white glue" and the yellow "carpenter's glue" or PVA glue.
* in paper converting as fast binding adhesive
* in bookbinding and book arts due to its flexible strong bond and non-acidic nature (unlike many other polymers).
* for handcrafted works.

To a lesser extent PVA emulsion are used in paper coatings, paint and other industrial coatings. PVA can also be used as coating to protect cheese from fungi and humidity.

Polyvinyl Alcohol is commonly used in the FRP industry as a release agent .

Some other uses of polyvinyl alcohol include:

1. Adhesive and thickener material in latex paints, paper coatings, release liner, hairsprays, shampoos and glues.
2. Textile sizing agent
3. Carbon dioxide barrier in polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles.
4. Carotid phantoms for use as synthetic vessels in doppler flow testing.
5. Movie practical effect and children's play putty or slime when combined with borax.
6. Feminine hygiene and adult incontinence products as a biodegradable plastic backing sheet.
7. As a mold release because materials such as epoxy do not stick to it.
8. As a water-soluble film useful for packaging.
9. As fiber reinforcement in concrete
10. As a surfactant for the formation of polymer encapsulated nanobeads
11. Used with polyvinyl acetate to make Elmer's glue
12. Used in eye drops and hard contact lens solution as a lubricant.
13. Used in protective chemical-resistant gloves
14. Used as a fixative for specimen collection, especially stool samples
15. When doped with iodine, PVA can be used to polarize light.
16. As an embolization agent in medical procedures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_alcohol

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tapper2:
Brownell's sells a spray can release agent. It's quick, covers everything and works great. All I use now, best I've found.

Tom

Same for me. It's called Acra-Release Aerosol. Great for a skin tight fit and cleans easily. Paul.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote