Find
Notify
Tools

.404 jeff
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted
What actions in factory rifles offer a reasonably quick and inexpensive (now dont harp on this) for conversion to a 404 jeff

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ550

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
M-70 (or Rem. 700) in .300RUM/.338RUM/.375RUM.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the model 70 over the Rem 700 for DG. I don't see anything to harp about.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Any action originally made for the Remington Ultrmagnums, NOT the Remington Short Action Ultra Mag's.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Here are three pictures of a Winchester Super Grade that was a .300 RUM. It was a relatively cheap and quick conversion.

If you want to use a Model 70 in a RUM caliber, you can find them in Super Grade if you're lucky or a standard model is a bit easier to locate. I found my rifle n.i.b. on GunsAmerica, but they are occasionally listed on GunBroker, etc.

At present, Mike Cuypers (Bijou Gunsmithing) is building me another .404 on another Model 70 .300 RUM action. I'll post pictures of it when I pick it up in Colorado later this month. When I get the new rifle, I'll probably wish to sell this one.

I had a Lothar-Walthar barrel and NEGC sights installed by Roger Farrell. The feeding was just fine with a bit of polishing the ramp and putting in a .375 follower instead of the original. The stock is original.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested if you decide to sell the current rifle Judge.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While not factory like a Remington 700, gent I use for gunsmithing used P14 (303 Enfield version of M1917) actions to make two .404 Jeff rifles. They turned out quite nice.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote