New
Find
Notify
Tools

6br Seating Depth Trouble
 Login/Join

<T. Brady>
posted
Just got a new 6br.Trying to work up a good load to shoot.I'm using 75grn. Vmax.I leave the bullet a little long thin chamber it in to the gun.Pulled the shell out and it left the rifling marks on it like it was suppose to.Put it in my press,ajusted my dies and seated the bullet deeper.Still had long marks on the bulletand I've ran out of threads on my die.Kind of new a reloading and never had this happen to me.Is the Vmax a longer bullet or maybe the gunsmith didn't cut the chamber deep enough? What do some of you think?

one of us
posted Hide Post
T. Brady.

If you have a "match" chamber on your BR there is probably a short throat in it. This is useally done to suite the short BR bullets weighing about 65 gr. I find it a little strange that the 75 gr V-Max can�t be seated off the lands though.

What seating die do you use?

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<T. Brady>
posted
They are Redding S type bushing dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
T.

I�m not very familiar with the Redding seater, most benchresters use the Wilson style seater for BR or PPC:s.

Are you absolute sure you have the seater correctly set? I have never yet seen a seater that not been able to seat bullet�s deep enough, Wilson os press style.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<T. Brady>
posted
Went today and got some custom 66grn. bullets.Seated them at 2.120.The ojive on the 75 grn bullets where very different.Would you cut deeper so you can shoot the 75 grn or not?

one of us
posted Hide Post
T.

If you plan to use the V Max exclusive in your BR it could be a good advise to cut the throat a bit deeper. If you can seat the bullet without the base of the bullet get below, or very close to the base of the neck I would leave the chamber as it is.

Have you checked the seater to be at absolute right setting?

Stefan.