Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun Butt-plate Expert?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I was just answering a question from another member on getting the right recoil pad on his model 70's and related the story that I could not find a replacement for butt-plate for my Superposed and had a recoil pad installed to fit the curve and left the wood unaltered.

Question - is there anyone that can make a copy of my butt-plate? When I did this project - about 5 years ago - I looked around at the shotgun restorers and found an original one that I thought would fit, but it doesn't.

What would be ideal is to scan in the current one I have to CAD program, fix the issues in the design, and have a new one milled. I'm checking with someone right now, but not sure if anyone has ever done this?

I just need to look outside the gun community, I'm sure I can find someone, not sure how much they would charge though. My son keeps asking me to build a "3D Printer" - that would be able to form the basis of a mold, but building a 3D Printer from a kit is a whole other story Smiler

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
If you have some pics of the butt plate send them over I'll take a look and tell you what I can do.

3D printer is a good idea But the resin some of those machines use is not very durable. They may have something better now as I haven't played with one in about seven years.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried these guys?
http://vintagegungrips.net/index.html

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks

I decided that I'm going to send my shotgun into Midwest Gun Works for a stock restoration (metal and bluing is good) and have them put on a pad and some thin-wall chokes.

I think I'm going to pick my son up a Superposed in 20 gauge tomorrow and send that in as well.

We'll have matching classic Superposeds (mine was manufactured in 1958).

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Austin Hunter:

I have a 20 gauge Superposed buttplate for sale.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote