Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Alignment (correction)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I have a MKV that I have had major problems with in getting bases for. It is a Euromark and all bases I have tried so far need a 4mm shim under the front mount. This is now addressed but the latest problem is that although the scope mounts have been clocked to the chamber (6 thou out) so should be okay. The rifle,with the scope optically centered is 7" off at 100 yards.

I can deal with this by using the Burris sig mounts and the different shims,but will this generate a problem with angle of scope to barrel? I am concerned that I will generate an crossover issue where at 50 yards it's an inch left, and at 100 yards it will be 1" right. Therefore making range compensation impossible.

If the mounts are in line and I do physicaly line the scope up using shims, will I generate a problem?

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wELL, I use the burris signature scope mounts on my rifles. You can turn inserts in the rings so that you can get both windage and elevation adjustments, or you can keep them strictly vertical or stricly horizontal.

You have to play with them a little bit. I have one rifle where the maximum inserts were not enough, so I added a bit of tape to the insert to make it a bit larger and that worked.

Another thing with them is that it all depends on how tight you make them. If you really tighten them down as far as you can sometimes you will lose all of the adjustment they provide.

I mainly use them because the prevent the scope from getting all scratched up from uneven rings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4mm is .157"
I shim, mill, and or glass mounts into alignment all the time, but I NEVER have go that far with the right mounts.

Yesterday, I milled off .039" from a Weaver S45, with a .5" radius. That is typical.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote