Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore question for gunsmiths
 Login/Join

posted
I traded for a Century Arms Intl. P-14 Enfield rebarreled in 7mm Rem Mag. It's not accurate, and I discovered a problem intitally overlooked.

Someone had stamped a ".303" very, very hard about 3.5" doen from the muzzle end. This stamping made a convex depression down into the bore. Is this repairable without rebarrelling?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hotshot:
I traded for a Century Arms Intl. P-14 Enfield rebarreled in 7mm Rem Mag. It's not accurate, and I discovered a problem intitally overlooked.

Someone had stamped a ".303" very, very hard about 3.5" doen from the muzzle end. This stamping made a convex depression down into the bore. Is this repairable without rebarrelling?

My only question would be it's in 7mm Rem Mag, but the barrel is stamped .303?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan@Montana Rifle Co:
quote:
Originally posted by hotshot:

My only question would be it's in 7mm Rem Mag, but the barrel is stamped .303?
My question as well.

Trim it back and recrown or rebarrel.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you shoot it again, slug the bore and take a chamber cast, sounds like to me that the gun has been rebored to 303 something or other. I see no reason other than that for the stamping..No way the stamping could indent the inside of the barrel....It may be a 7 mag opened up to 303...

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dan/Wally, Yes it's mis-stamped .303. It's a 24" length magnum barrel, and I would rather replace it than shorten it 4" and give up velocity.

Ray, I pulled the barrel, set back 0.030", and re-reamed to take care of an initial headspace and large breech gap problem. It's definitely a 7mm Rem Mag. I've never seen a stamping so deep in my life, maybe the blemish and the stamping match by coincidence as are aligned as best as I can tell. It's a buggy whip #1 contour barrel(0.550" diameter).

Is there a commercially sold rifling button that could be pulled through or has anybody tried hand lapping a blemish out?

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
It is possible to perform mechanical operations on the outside of the barrel, and have the results show up in the bore. Back in the days when I was shooting magnums at 1,000 yards, we found that drilling and tapping to mount front iron sights would leave a "bump" in the bore. The solution was to mount a band type sight base that doesn't need mounting holes.

I have heard of other barrels damaged by over-enthusiatic stamping.

I would try fire lapping this barrel, but then I always wanted to try that stuff out on the right project. [Wink]

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote