New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pierce receiver progress pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Myself and some of the good folks on this forum have been working on this for maybe 2 1/2 yrs. Contributors are Jim Kobe, James Anderson, Dan Armstrong, Ken Hurst, Roger Vardy, and myself. This is built on a John Pierce CM receiver and as you can see, it ain't a mauser or mod 70. To bring you up to date I built the scope rings and recoil lug, don't comment on the welding. Lilja was the only barrelmaker that would make a 1.375 CM barrel in a reasonable length of time. James Anderson cut the octagon on the barrel. I chambered it. I am most proud of my front octagon sight that I did spend too much time on. I made the rear iron sight, but Mr. Anderson said it was nasty and he made another. It does look better than mine. Mr. Kobe fit the PTG 3 pos safety. I made the trigger guard and I was real happy with it until Mr. Anderson said that I had the hole centers off in dimension. Damn, go ahead Mr. Anderson and make another since you are quick and reasonable. It has a Shilen trigger. Roger Vardy supplied the wood. It was a second that a few on the forum said looked nasty. I think when you see the finished stock, you will see that is was a bargain. I traded a piece of custom bottom metal for it and it included delivery to the USA. The scope rings are lost as we speak at the engravers. I will ship it to Mr. Anderson in a day or two for rust blue and dropping it into the stock. Oh, The caliber is 6.5X47Lapua.

Duane, I know that you and SDH questioned my octagon front sight, but I had to have a little bling. Ken Hurst did the engraving by the way.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle there Butch. would like to see more.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is really exquisite engraving.

Very very nice looking front sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch

Thats a very nice rifle, octagon barrel and matching sights set off by the engraving.
I sure enjoy picture of your guns. Keep them coming.

Hal

Posts: 164 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work Butch. Top shelf all the way. I'm glad it finally made it home.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even without seeing the complete package, I'd say you did a very nice jobe on the front sight. I know I'd be proud of it, not that that means much.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like that front site.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice and kudos on your execution of the front sight.
I'm glad you are the kind of guy that could take James' advice on that rear sight.

He did you a solid there.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

WOW!!!
That is high class work; awesome..
Kudos on the great job..

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Top shelf all the way. There is so much to like. The engraving is exquisite. I think Ken has been engraving longer than I've been alive and his work looks a whole lot better than my body.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken's health is no good and he lives alone. When my rifle was late arriving I found out he had been in the hospital and no way to contact him. When I unpacked it the scope rings were missing. I called Ken and the phone wasn't working. I thought he might be back in the hospital. I called another 4 days and got him today. Said his POS computer was on the fritz and he kicked it. He was on a phone modem and that someway messed up his phone. He said he started worrying that nobody was calling him to hurry him up on their work. He picked up the phone for the first time in 4 days and it didn't work. It is now repaired and my rings are on the way.
He said he couldn't even find a phone booth. I told him that he and Duane Wiebe were from the stone age. Ain't been no phone booths in awhile.
Everything is good.
I am ready to get on the big bird to Anchorage next week.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great Butch, something to be proud of. I like the choice of the Pierce action as well as the 6.5 X 47. Enjoy the trip to Alaska.
Blair

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Well, you were wandering what rear sight shape it should be to fit your custom front sight...I'd say you got it dead on. Everything looks real nice Butch!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote