New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 12 stock replacement
 Login/Join

<kromer>
posted
I'm looking for a new stock, I don't like the fibreglass stock it came with and I'm
looking at a wood replacement. I've found a couple of stock makers but I just
can't bring myself to spend another $500 on a stock any suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kromer,
As far a I know all the Savage stocks are interchangable as long as you keep the short and long actions straight, so you could get one of their walnut stocks for a sporter contour barrel or one of their laminated stcoks for the varmint contours. Also check out http://www.boydsboys.com as they have a large supply of stocks for Savages at much better than the $500 you quote.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Lefty223>
posted
You must consider a stock from Fred Wenig, who used to be the Ops Mgr for Fajen. He bought out some equipment when they folded and is on his own and runs quite the outfit. See: www.wenig.com

You can get ANYTHING in any style of wood - laminated, walnut, XXX fancy grade, checkered, fit to you, etc. in enough styles including thumbhole sporters to confuse you for weeks ... or at least make a tough decision.

Prices are unbelieveable fair for the quality and service he and his company provides. FWIW, Jon Sundra has Fred do all his custom wood.

I once had them price a custom left-hand semi-fancy walnut stock for a Savage short-action. Profiled like a Win model 70 featherweight with schnable forend, 95% inletted, and Pachmyer Deaccelerator pad installed, price was just over $200, less cost of the pad. 'Nuff said ... 1st class quality there ! Cheers and tight groups [Big Grin]