New
Find
Notify
Tools

What am I looking at?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to have a grip safety and trigger installed on my Colt commander. Nothing real fancy just better than stock. Whats a good round figure a gunsmith would charge for this? Thanks. This is assuming that I supply him with the parts. [Confused]

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
Buy a book on the 1911 for $30 and do it yourself to save a heep of cash.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YUP,what Otto said. derF

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
Jerry Khunhassen's books are possible the best for the budding pistolsmith. Fitting a new trigger is easy, fitting a beaver tail grip safety requires a hardened steel template, unless you are real careful with the grinder.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
All well and good gentlemen.

But,you have to expect to spend way more for the job by doing it yourself (You will ruin some parts). Or, your have to be able to live with a lessor quality job. Possibly both. These parts are fitted not just a drop in.

JR is talking about installing a trigger. Which means a trigger job. Very little is done to the trigger in a trigger job. It will be working on the hammer, sear, and sear spring. Possibly the disconnector. A misstep in this area could lead to all kinds of problems. Everything from slam fires to full auto fire.

Realistically, it's difficult to compete with a person who has 10 or 15 years experience in the gunsmithing field by reading a book and buying a few parts.

R Kehr

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jr. I'm with Roger. If you seek to get rid of the X. Y. Z movement of the trigger itself you have picked up 6 to 8 ounces of pull. Friction because of the meet of a handfull of diverse parts in mil-spec toleranced frames. New pins to no rattle fit, frame to part helps but..... Sheer determination helps,too, but that's where excess cut and not enough try means more new parts. It is a learning experience. [Big Grin]

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote