THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can a large ring Zastavia M98 be turned or ground down to small ring dimensions?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a large ring Zastavia M98 be turned or ground down to small ring dimensions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
This was asked on a different forum. I don't know but thought it was an interesting question.

Can it be done and still be safe?

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a guild custom on a WW1 Danzig action that is a small ring/large thread, or so I'm told. These actions are not considered as strong as the LR/LT or SR/ST due to the thickness of the web on one side. I don't have any dimensions for these but I'm sure you can reduce the diameter of the ring but I don't know how much. Doing it on a later model action with good steel is obviously preferable to one of the early wrought iron ones. Wink

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
This was asked on a different forum. I don't know but thought it was an interesting question.

Can it be done and still be safe?

Terry

Find a 1909 Peruvian mauser with a pitted ring for this trick. The Peruvian 1909 has the small thread with large ring.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I think it was Jim Wisner who posted a while back about thinning and blending the sides of 98 actions to small ring dimensions while leaving the top alone to create a slimmer looking action. Also left all the meat in the lug recess.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning did it years ago for some .308 and .243 models. I don't believe they did it for anything larger. I have never heard of problems with them.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I think it was Jim Wisner who posted a while back about thinning and blending the sides of 98 actions to small ring dimensions while leaving the top alone to create a slimmer looking action. Also left all the meat in the lug recess.

Tom Burgess did this, but he was smart enough to only do it on actions like the Peruvian.

I would not do it to a Z98 action.

I've seen the side thinning done to 1909 Argentines but I myself would not make that alteration. Nor would I use a Turkish K.Kale action to try and make a small ring.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's easy to do this.

No, the action will not blow up or harm the shooter in any way.

Yes, there is a possibility that the receiver ring will eventually stretch if rebarreled to a high-pressure cartridge or a magnum, thereby causing excess headspace. This condition, if it occurs at all, would most likely be a gradual thing happening over a period of several shots or more and thus not an immediate danger under most circumstances.

How's THAT for weasel words, eh? (grin)

I wouldn't do it either.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
There is a reason the Germans stopped making the KAR action. The Poles carried on with production a bit longer but they also made alterations to the receiver to combat the stretch problem. This was all rendered moot once the Czech's simply switched to a SR thread in their VZ33.

The 8x57 Military load is by no means a high pressure or magnum load yet it caused quite a few of the KAR receivers to stretch and consequently be removed from action.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the length works it seems like a quality Swede might be the answer?

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The Zastava action is made of modern alloy steel and is heat treated using modern processes rather than being case hardened like the old Mausers. I can't think of a reason that it can't be done for use with low pressure loads such as the 8x57 cartridge but you might want to run it by someone like Mete who has a background in Metallurgy.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
There is a reason the Germans stopped making the KAR action. The Poles carried on with production a bit longer but they also made alterations to the receiver to combat the stretch problem. This was all rendered moot once the Czech's simply switched to a SR thread in their VZ33.

The 8x57 Military load is by no means a high pressure or magnum load yet it caused quite a few of the KAR receivers to stretch and consequently be removed from action.

Yeah, but wonder how many of those KAR's were fired with the much stouter machine gun ammo?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning made a SR with small threads in their FN 400 Supreme action, I happen to have one. I don't think they made a SR large thread model albeit I have a couple of Mausers in that configuration. Within their limits as to strength they are just fine but I would not use one make a high pressure cartridge / magnum cartridge rifle. FWIW --- John303.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IF the Zastava is made of modern steel such as 4140 and heat treated properly you could reduce dimensions a bit .How much I wouldn't know .Never try it with a case hardened one .

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
Yeah, but wonder how many of those KAR's were fired with the much stouter machine gun ammo?

I hear this all the time but have never seen anything concrete that states MG ammo was loaded to higher pressure. Then again, I haven't spent a heck of a lot of time looking either.

Regardless, it is not a conversion I would undertake.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a Peruvian, Turkish 03, or Costa Rican 1910 and I will make you a small ring out of it. Not cheap... but you did not ask about cheap!

I strongly recommend re-carburizing the action after it is finished.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yes, several options are avalible with the large ring small thread models but the guy that ask me this is left handed and he already has the left handed Zastavia's.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It isn't the diameter of the barrel shank that's the proble . The metal left over the
right locking lug is about the thickness of
a razor blade. When the people at Springfield
copied the 93 Mauser they added metal there.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hm.... if it were a customer of mine I would strongly recommend against it. Being that someone above stated they are supposed to be an alloyed and heat treated steel as opposed to low carb and carburized, I suppose I would be willing to try a light caliber, such as the 7x57 class in it.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote