New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Rifle Trigger recomendation??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am slowly getting into the process of converting a Mauser Mark X into an 8 x 68 S. It will have a three position safety on the bolt, a welded on Tom Burgess bolt handle, and a Bartlein #2 or #3 barrel. Bottom metal will be 300 Magnum sixed from Swift Blackburn.

Now, to the trigger. My 9.3 x 64 Brenneke has a Blackburn steel bodied trigger. This go around, I am looking at the NECG/Recknagel in either aluminum or Steel, The Blackburn in either steel or aluminum; possibly a Dayton Traister, or even a Timney. I guess you could call this rifle a custom field grade.

Are there any recommendations? I want a 3# - 3.5# pull wieght, and that I get a "bang" every time I pull it.

Thanks, Charlie

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Timmy reasonable cost effective and they have been around a long time so they work.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Timmy; no reason to pay more. I get a lot of jobs wanting a SST; they do work but are of no advantage; just more intricate mechanism to fail in the field.
I also get more than a few asks for DSTs; those are definitely unsuitable for a bolt action hunting rifle. I know, lots of them have been used but they offer no advantage and a few disadvantages which I could enumerate but won't now. Those belong on pre 1800 flint lock rifles.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at Ted's shop one day when he was making triggers. Fascinating. And that's why I own a couple of them. But they need the trigger part itself reshaped a little bit to make them look better. I like the way David Miller does it if you can find some photos of that.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,
You can't go wrong with a Blackburn in steel of course. I have five or six on guns of my own. I have had a Mauser trigger shoe welded to a couple of them. A great feel.
Dave

Posts: 116 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Get a Timney Sportsman trigger, Cost is about $60 or a little more. adjustable from 2 to 4 lbs
I'd personally set it to 3 lbs possibly 4 as Timney's typically feel lighter than they actually are. I currently have two installed and one in waiting on my Rigby build. which reminds me I need to order one and replace the Bold trigger on my 7x57 98 mauser.

I've recommended and installed a couple dozen Timney's on precision rifles for guys shooting F class and PRS. Never a complaint.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I have both Timney Sportsman's and Recknagle 98 triggers here. Both are smooth and the only plus to the Recknagle is the slight ease of adjustment because Recknagle adjustment screws are locked by set screws instead of lock nuts like Timney's.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.
The 8x58S will get a Blackburn Steel trigger, and the Remington Varmint (Varmint Sendero contour) in 240 WBY will get a Timney.
Thanks for the input from everyone.

My G33/40 boat gun has its original military trigger. That works quite well. Mr. Mauser sure as hell knew how to design a rifle.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best trigger I ever owned was a modified trigger job on a milsurp Mauser trigger by the late and great Tony Barnes of Twin Falls who had a habit of doing the unamagenable...welded the slack out with a little steel square rod, then hand honed the matching trigger parts then hardened them and honed them again..1.5 lbs and you could not slam fire that trigger no matter how hard you tried..Sounds easy but it ain't...

For a hunting rifle I use the Timney, they are as good as any of todays triggers IMO...The Blackburn when Ted was around was my favorite. Have not tried one latey..The best ever was the single set Canjar that you pushed the single trigger forware, but don't know if they are even in business anymore..Awesome trigger.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote