New
Find
Notify
Tools

Herter's J9 Barreled Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with these rifles? Who made the barrels?Will barrels, triggers for 98's or FN's fit this action? This one is chambered for 6m/m Remington,
model XK3. Any information would much appreciated.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Herter's rifles were made by BSA of England, although I don't know the thread size of the action.

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Actually Herter's had two models...the J9 and the U9. The U9 was a BSA and the J9 was a standard mauser similar to the interarms imports.

I'd try parts for the interanms/Santa Barbara actions.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Matt, Vapodog,
Thanks for your input. Since I posted the above questions I found out that it's a copy of an FN. According to Frank De Haas the early ones were made in Germany and later in Yugoslavia. Mine is German.
It's pretty sweet, it has hinged bottom metal with lever release, a nice touch.
Stepchild

The "Yugos" are VZ 500 actions, the same length as M48 Yugo.

I purchased 2 new (as in never barreled) a while back off of this forum for $135 each.

I haven't decided yet, but I'm thinking 6MM Ackley and 6.5x55.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat Junkie,
$135.00 sounds like a pretty good price to me. This makes the 4th 6m/m at this house(.243 Ackley under construction, FN action), I certainly didn't need it, but it's not usually about need is it? I'll shoot it and go from there, who knows it may become my 6th Ackley Improved somewhere down the road.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or you might find some local that dosn't own a small caliber rifle (but has been thinking about one), likes Mauser actions, and dosn't mind butt-ugly gunstocks.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,
The stock is a right hand rollover comb, that needs some serious work with a rasp to thin it down.
The metal is going to have to be refinished to put it on the money or use as is.
Let the negotiations begin.
Stepchild

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
stepchild2:

If this is an "intermedite length" large ring 98 action, I would be interested in the stock if it has decent wood.

It sounds to me like there is a lot of excess wood so I might be able to "remove evrything that doesn't look like a rifle".

Measure the centers of the action screws, if they are on the "small ring" length with a large ring receiver, the action is indeed an "intermediate length" like the M48 Yugo.

All action parts that are not "length specific" (firing pin, extractor, bolt body and bottom metal) will interchange with "standard length" large ring 98 variants such as FN Mark X, K98 etc.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat Junkie,
The action is an intermediate length. I'm thinking Tailgunner may be interested in this rifle and would probably want the stock too. I'm left handed so it wont work for me.
Stepchild

one of us
posted Hide Post
I need to get that puller up to you, probably tomorrow.
I'll take a look at it than, if that's ok with you.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,
Bring something to shoot if you want to. We'll be here all day. And don't forget the check book.
Stepchild

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,
If you're gonna go to Glennie to do some negotiating take along about a 30 pack of aiming oil. Stepchild will be easier to deal with if you soften him up a might. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advise jim, i'll have to have the wife pick up some when she goes out for my meds. i asked him in a e-mail if he could come down here instead, as i split my finger open on a saw blade last night (even broke the bone). I think my travels today are going to be limited to the bathroom.

how goes the projects your working on? Stepchild only gives me a update now and than.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,

My projects are moving along OK. I got Stepchilds FN back yesterday and can finally move forward on that. The guy that worked on it filling some holes really did a righteous job. He made some old mount holes on the left side of the action disappear. Now I can get his barrel chambered and do mine at the same time. Too many irons in the fire and I'm going javelina hunting next weekend. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now Jimmy who's side are you on? Talk about tarnishing a persons reputation. That hurts.
Stepchild

posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a BSA in 243. There is no visible bolt release. The only way we have been able to pull the bolt is to pull the trigger. Any help would be appreciated. We have tried pulling the trigger with the bolt back, and every other combination I have seen. Thanks

Posts: 3 | Location: Tidewater , Va. | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
like2shoot,
Thats how it was designed.
Stepchild