Find
Notify
Tools

Home made inletting black?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I can't find mine and I was planning on doing a little wood work in the garage tomorrow.

Does anyone have a recipe they use or should I forget about it and wait until I can order some.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you just happen to know where an oil lamp is, fill it with turpentine and run the wick out until you get an orange flame with black oily smoke. It will do an outstanding job. You may never want to go back!

Hobby Lobby would have a lamp or you could cobble something together from parts at home.

I've heard of doing the same thing with acetylene but never tried it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
A decent blacking can be made with carbon black powder and engine oil. Mix the powder and a couple tablespoons of 30-weight together and then soak cotton balls with it in a small plastic container. Then, using a small parts cleaning brush or similar--I use an old shaving brush--dab the cotton balls, transferring the color to your brush. Works pretty well and is cheap.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll get to play wood butcher tomorrow after all! I'd heard of the lamp idea before but didn't really want to buy one. I do have some carbon powder though!

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can sometimes find prussian blue at some auto parts store, usually the ones with a machine shop.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
terry you can make your own soot lamp for about $5. just go to walmart & buy a pack of oil lamp wicks & a bottle of lamp oil. it comes to about $5. find a small glass jar & cut a slit in the top for the wick, pull about 1/8" or slightly more of the wick up through the slot. put about 1/2" of oil in the bottom of the jar & have at it.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cant believe noone uses the following:

Construction Black Marking Crayon. Tool department at Home depo.

Cheap$, Not messy, Simple, Easy as hell to use, Transfers to wood good but isnt messy no smears.
Dont have to keep reappling it, stays on the metal but doesnt get all over your hands or work bench when removeing or handleing barred action.

I tryed a bunch of stuff and the Big crayon method works way better for me

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thalo blue
water soulable
paint store for pennys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, Terry, you have some bone black you used to finish stocks?

Mix that with a little paraffin oil.

Voila!

flaco

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Before trying the commercial stuff for this, I used a pilfered old lipstick. It works just as well for inletting, and does not deposit oil spots or black stains which are difficult to remove........

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Zippo lighter will work fine or I always kept a candle to smoke metal parts for fitting.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is so easy ...go to a cement plant, cement finisher, etc....get a pound of LAMPBLACK...mix it with any old oil you have around. Let it set up until it's a bit hard...you now have a perfect inletting black....squirt a small amount of oil onto the hard "brick" that has formed, use a fairly stiff brush to apply the THINNEST coat possible...almost transparent! This will show ONLY the high spots.

The commercial "inletting black" is pure crap...way too thick...used this for about 40 years...Kurt Haase showed me...Don't even consider lipstick...it's way too thick.

"Smoke" for metal is good, but I prefer a mixture of diluted acid and copper sulfate...this puts on the thinnest coat of copper possible...you'll know exactly the high spots...more precise than Prussian blue by a long shot

By the way, a pound of lamp black will last you the rest of your life!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Duane,
How much oil? and how long to let the mix sit till it "cures".

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
anyone try those 'Expo" markers they use on white boards.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I'm the worst person there is when it comes to woodworking, but decided to put a VZ24 with a #3 Douglas barrel into a Boyd's JRS stock and forgot to get any inletting black.

Ended up using dishwashing detergent. Just put a thin coat on the metal and fit it into the stock. It'll mark long enough for you to note the high spots but sands out easily or just evaporates if you get it where you didn't want it.

hth

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
But how do you get that dry powder to stick to the metal? Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
A lot great ideas.

Thanks,
Terry

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Duane
quote:
"Smoke" for metal is good, but I prefer a mixture of diluted acid and copper sulfate...this puts on the thinnest coat of copper possible...you'll know exactly the high spots...more precise than Prussian blue by a long shot

This is very interesting. What acid do you use? What ratio of acid/copper sulfate do you use. How do you "smoke" your parts with this? Do you have any problems with your parts rusting?
Thanks in advance.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tip on thalo blue is great. It is a dye, not a paint. It is used to add pigment to color paint. It stays moist for extended periods, brushes on easily and marks very well. I Got some from Home Depot, no charge. It wipes off with a moist cloth. Good stuff. Oh yea, it comes in other colors, not just blue.

Posts: 29 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
Duane,
How much oil? and how long to let the mix sit till it "cures".
Maybe the best bet would be WD 40....solvents evaporate quickly...just make a thick paste at first. I have two "pot's" One I'm using, the other is "setting up"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote