New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock finishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Years ago (late 50's early 60's) my father refinished a gunstock with linseed oil, turpentine and caranuba wax. I believe he did the final gloss with pummice stone and a lot of elbow grease.

Does anyone know what the recipe and process for this type of oil finish might be? I have just stripped a suprisingly nice looking old Fajen stock on a sporterized mauser I bought a few years ago and want to refinish it.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would likely be 2 parts Boiled Linseed Oil to 1 part turp. Finish sand stock then buff to a shine with a new, clean loose muslin wheel. Warm stock and hand apply BLO mixture. Soak it heavy for the first coat, wait 30 min and soak again. When it can't absorb any more, wipe down. Don't ball up BLO soaked rags because they can ignite! Leave none standing on the surface. Hang stock in a room temp area w/low moisture. Dry at least 3 days. It may take up to a week. Re-apply up to 5 more coats waiting 24 hrs between coats. Let it cure up good for at least 2 weeks. Rub down with a mixture of BLO and pumice powder using a felt pad. Be gentle, it cuts fast. Rottenstone is finer and less aggressive. Wipe clean. Apply two coats of carnuba wax(Johnson's Paste Wax is good too) and buff.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bob, that is pretty much how I remember it.......Here goes..

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote