New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 trigger question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am working on a model 70 Classic Featherweight trigger. The trigger is not too bad but it has an abnormal amount of side to side play.
Where can you buy a replacement Winchester trigger or is there a good aftermarket trigger?
Any ideas for taking the slop out of this trigger?
thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
A search on the site should get you the links to trigger modification. as for aftermarket, there are quite a few out there. Timney, Canjar, Jewel I believe. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like something is loose or not adjusted properly. Im not a trigger expert but I do know that the M70 trigger is an OUTSTANDING trigger when setup properly. Before I replaced it I would have a competant gunsmith look at it.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That can be adjusted out I suspect...The M-70 cannot be improved on for a hunting trigger IMO...It can be worked over by a competent smith into a fantastic trigger for little cost. Sideplay is common in many good triggers.

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sideplay is quite prevelent on most model 70 triggers that I have personally handled. To me it is quite annoying and unnessary as Winchester could fix the problem.

D'Arcy Echols repins his Model 70 triggers with the correct size pin to eliminate the problem and when he is done working them over those triggers are very good.

That said however, I just picked up a fairly new manufacture LH Model 70 for the action that was very good in this regard. Maybe Winchester has changed something, don't know. Even with the side to side slop, I still wouldn't replace them with aftermarket stuff.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote